Chapter Seven- The portal

Father and I couldn't stop coughing. Soon everyone on the house got infected. And then the whole city. Currently the anti fever has spread through most of Texas. It hasn't appeared to be deadly. Not yet at least. Even thought it takes your temperature to inhabitable levels, that doesn't kill you.

I went up stairs to Joshua. He was sitting on the floor, reading the book Lizzy brought him.

"I figured it out. There's a portal in the factory and it's still functioning. If we can power it, I can get in."

"What kind of power does it need?" I asked

"It needs something from the other side. An Ice spirit would work. Someone with the virus would work. But it may kill them"

"I'll do it"

"It might kill you"

"I don't care." And honestly, I didn't. I felt worthless. He is going to be with Adan. It's pretty much meant to be. I haven't heard him laugh or seen him smile the whole time he has been here. Except for when Adan showed up. He lit up. He needs her. Not me.

"Fine. Let's go"

"Right now?"

"Yeah why not?"

"There's something I must do first"

I turned around and I climbed down the latter. I walked to my parents room and opened the door. My dad was sleeping while my mother was crying.

"Oh Autumn, what are we going to do? Nothing I can do is working. We are going to lose him" my mother cried

"No we won't. I will fix all of this. Father will be okay. The fever will stop. The disease will stop."

"How do you expect to do that?"

I paused for a moment. "I love you Mother"

"I love you too"

I closed the door, knowing that was most likely the last time I'll see my parents ever again.

The radio came on and it started to play

Silent Night
Holy Night
All is calm
All is bright
Round yon virgin
Mother and child
Holy infant so tender and mild
Sleep in heavenly peace
Silent Night
Holy Night
Shepeards pray at the sight
Glory streams from heaven afar
Heavenly ? sing hallelujah
Christ the Savior is born
Silent Night
Holy Night
All is calm
And all is bright
Round yon virgin
Mother and child
Holy infant so tender and mild
Sleep in heavenly peace
Silent Night
Holy Night
Sleep in heavenly peace

I closed my eyes and just took in the song. I went up to Lizzy bad have her a big hug.

"I love you Lizzy"

"Good riddance"

"Hey, you can have the tv to yourself now"

Tears started to fall from her eyes. "I'm going to miss you"

"I'm going to miss you too."

I let go and walked over to Joshua.

"I'm ready"

"Are you sure?" Joshua asked me.

"Yes I'm sure"

"Let's go"

He opens the door for me. We walk through it and walk straight to the factory. I didn't say a word to him. He didn't say a word to me. At this time the factory is more alive then ever.

"The portal is damaged and is in the F ward. The ward is unguarded because that ward is old and abandoned. If we can get to it you would get inside the giant glass container."

"I'm essentially just a battery"

"A battery that can only survive being in there for an hour"

"If you take more than an hour, I die?"

"It won't be more than an hour. But yes"

"Okay. Let's get inside already"

We climbed down into the quarry. Thank the heavens that this place isn't actually a cement factory because we would have been caught if it was. The tunnel was heavily guarded.

"Let's go to sixth tunnel. They hardly ever go in that area"

We snuck down the tunnel.

"Look. There's the F ward" I whispered.

We somehow made it over to the other side. We got inside the ward and the portal was right in the middle of ward. Is was a large metallic circle connected to the floor with a terminal.

"There it is"

I walked over to the large glass tube right next to the portal"

"Do I just walk in?"

"Yes just walk in"

I opened the door and sat on the floor.

"I don't feel anything"

"It's not on yet, silly"

"Well stop wasting time. Turn it on and kill the Inhabiter. Save the human race"

"Thank you, Autumn. For everything"

"I love you" I whispered.

He paused and then turned on the portal.