Chapter V

It took a while to calm the boys down but after a warm cup of coco and some music playing on elder Kettle's phonograph, they were all cooped up by the fireplace as outside it has started to rain. The sounds of the fire crackling gave Dice chills. It reminded him of the casino. But he didn't want to tell the boys that. He had already told them enough for a day. Besides it was starting to get dark so he should probably start getting ready to leave.

The two insisted that Dice stayed over for the night and as expected, Dice said yes. Cuphead took Dice into a guest bedroom that was all tidied up. The hasn't been used for a while so it was kind of dusty. But Dice shrugged it off and walked over to the bed. He sat down and took off his shoes, setting them to the side before laying down on the soft yet old mattress. Cuphead had left the room, leaving the door open so the heat of the fireplace would reach his room. Dice looked up at the ceiling as he laid there, unable to sleep. This was different from the casino. The casino was always roaring with sounds! The sound of the skeletons walking around, the fire of hell crackling, the sound of laughter as those without sleep would go into the casino for a drink or a game. All of these things were missing and it made Dice feel odd. He closed his eyes and tried going  to sleep but only ended up in him staying awake for most of the night.

It was around 3 at night when Dice couldn't help but hear footsteps on the hallway. A figure passed his bedroom and went into the bathroom at the end of the hallway. It was probably one of the brothers. As expected, he heard the toilet flush and someone washing his hands. The figure started walking back when it stopped in front of Dice's room. Only then could Dice get a good look at who it was. It was Cuphead and he seemed kind of glad to see Dice awake. Cuphead walked in and closed the door behind him, walking over to the bed and sitting down next to Dice

"Can't sleep, Dice?"

"I should be asking you that question. What are you doing up?"

"I couldn't sleep. After what you told me and Mugsy I just can't stop thinking about so many ways to hurt that damned Dev-"

"Cuphead It's alright... I couldn't sleep either. You want to play a game to pass the time?"

Cuphead nodded and Dice got up and walked over to the coat hanger, checking his coat's pockets and pulling out a deck of cards. After that, the two went downstairs and sat at the kitchen table, playing card games all night before they were tired enough to both of them pass out on the couch.

-

The next morning Mugman was surprised to find Dice sleeping on the couch and Cuphead sleeping on top of him. He noticed the deck of cards on the table and could only assume the two must've played cards late at night. Good thing they didn't have work today or else Mugman would scold Cuphead so hard for sleeping in late. Mugs sighed and went to the kitchen to make breakfast.

The smell of pancakes filled the house and Dice was the first to wake up. He was a bit surprised to find Cuphead sleeping on top of him but calmed down after he remembered last night. They were so tired that they couldn't even walk up the stairs. Dice chuckled a bit at the memory of Cuphead almost stumbling over and braking his head. He sighed and gently  pushed Cuphead on the couch before heading over to the kitchen to see what was Mugman up to.

Dice didn't expect to be asked to help mainly because he can't really cook. But Mugs didn't care about that and gave Dice the task to put chocolate and whipped cream on the pancakes and then cut some cherries and put them on the whipped cream. He started picking up the pace quickly and was surprised to see how proud Mugman was of Dice. Dice just laughed it off and placed the food on the table. Mugman was going over to wake his sleeping brother, which of course was a hard task.

"Cuphead! You can't keep sleeping your butt off all day! Wake uuuup!"

"Mhm...five more minutes..."

"Come on Cuphead. I made breakfast and everything!"

"Hmm...what did you make?..."

"Pancakes? with cherries and chocolate"

As expected the Cup got up and darted into the kitchen. He somehow managed to land on a chair and was now looking as awake as he could be. This made both Mugman and Dice laugh as they saw how eager was Cuphead to eat. But after a round of laughs and a few chats they all sat down at the table and started eating.

-

"It's almost winter..."

Cuphead said as he finished his plate and put it in the sink. He was right. It was starting to get colder and colder outside and it even snowed for a while but it wasn't enough for it to set down, only leaving mushy puddles of mud and cold water. Mugman was sitting next to him and drinking a cup of tea while Dice was in the living room, adding wood to the fireplace. Mugman looked outside and sighed.

"That mean's we'll have to shovel around the house again...Heh... remember when Elder Kettle would sometimes put snow in your head when you didn't want to wake up?"

"Ha! I remember that. I squeeled like a girl... Or when Elder Kettle would put on Christmas music and dance with us around the fireplace? Heh.... But this Christmas will be the first one without Kettle...."

"I miss him too Cuppy.... But we promised him we wouldn't feel sad without him. He's always going to be with us no matter what."

"Yeah you're right.... Hey how about we got play in the puddles outside? Just like old times?"

"Ah Cuphead... Fine but if i feel sick it's your fault!"

The two put on their raincoats and rubber boots before going outside to play. Dice was sitting at the window, watching them and thinking: What did i do to deserve these two...

__________________

A/N: Yesss I did it! Another chapter. Thank god School starts at 12 PM here. That way I have a lot of time in the morning to write! I hope i can keep updating daily. But if i don't please don't get mad. I have a lot of things to worry about right now. But i always make time to come back and write another chapter. Thank you for reading this far ❤