Chapter 20

The drive to Drew's frat house was quiet and the car smelled of takeout.

We pulled up to the house and the car came to a stop with a jerk. James moved up from the back seat and poked his head between Drew and me. "Alright, guys. Looks like this is my stop." He looked my way. "Ally-"

"You don't need to talk to her." Drew cut in. "Just get out."

James shrugged and left without another word and we watched as he entered the house. Drew released the breath he was holding and relaxed into his seat.

"I'm sorry you got pulled into this," he said.

"I wanted to come, remember?"

"You have no idea how glad I am that you were there. I was so relieved to see your face after that cop said my brother could go to jail. I don't know what I would have done."

"Forget it. I'm happy I could help. Unfortunately, I don't think James learned anything from this."

"It's been one thing after another with him lately. I don't know how to get through to him. I'm not always going to be there to bail him out. Not to mention, he's on his last chance with our parents. The more I try to help, the more I wonder if I'm making things worse. I'm worried about him, Ally."

I got the feeling Drew didn't want advice, which was perfect because I didn't have any to give. This was so not my area of expertise. I couldn't begin to imagine what he was going through or the toll it took on him to have someone he cared about be so self-destructive. He seemed content just to have someone to vent to and I was honored he chose me.

"What are you going to do?" I asked.

"I have no clue. I'm so pissed right now, I can't focus."

An idea came to me, then. I couldn't empathize with Drew's situation but maybe I could cheer him up. We could both use some cheering up after the night we'd had. I couldn't believe I was saying this but the words were already leaving my mouth. "Lindsay told me there's a thing at Franky's tonight. You want to check it out?"

Drew looked confused. "You want to go to Franky's? Didn't you make me promise never to take you there again?"

"Yes, but for some reason, you like it there. I'll put up with that godforsaken bar if it'll help you feel better."

"Funny how it took my brother getting arrested for you to show more of your sensitive side."

I frowned. "Your brother has nothing to do with it."

"I don't know what else to think. It's hard to tell with you sometimes."

I could see James wasn't his only source of stress. I was right up there with him. With everything going on, the last thing I wanted was to be part of the problem.

"How about you stop trying to figure me out and just go with the flow?" I said.

"I'm a psych major. Figuring people out is what I do."

"Well put your therapeutic couch away for tonight. Forget everything and focus on having fun with me. You think you can do that?"

"You're telling me to stop thinking and just have fun? Either I've been transported to another dimension or the student has become the teacher."

Yeah, the irony wasn't lost on me. Drew's effect on me was undeniable. I could feel myself loosening up and being more open to new experiences. I'd acted on impulse and had sex for the first time, without analyzing the issue to death and I survived. I made it to the other side, alive and wiser. We'd made so many mistakes, but in the end, it wasn't all bad. No, it was more than that. It was all good.