46. Bachelorette

Waking up the day before my wedding is exhilarating and exciting. After being engaged for six years it was hard to believe that Josh was finally becoming my husband. It seemed like just yesterday he was proposing to me.

"Um why is there still a present in Maya's stocking?" Riley asks curiously as she pulls out a small wrapped box. A box about the size of a ring box.

"Riles that was for tomorrow morning" Josh sighs as he jumps off the couch, taking the box from his niece's hands.

"So?" Riley asks excitedly making it obvious that she knew all about her uncle's plans. She seemed more impatient than I was.

"So" Josh trails off as he looks down at the box. "So I guess I'll just have to improvise" he adds as he turns his gaze on me, a smile creeping onto his face.

"What are you doing?" I ask playfully as I look up at my boyfriend who's now holding a box that was causing my heart to flutter.

"I mean I was gonna wait until tomorrow but you and Riles seem to be pretty adamant about it happening tonight" Josh adds as he walks over to me, grabbing my hand and lifting me off the couch. "Maya I fell in love with you before I even realized what was happening. I told myself over and over again that you were way too young for me and that I needed to stay away from you but I couldn't. Of course things got a little rocky when I got a little stupid, I made some mistakes, but they've all led me here. To you. We haven't technically been together very long but we've known this was inevitable since that Christmas all those years ago. I love you more than I've ever loved anyone and I want to spend the rest of my life with you" he says with a smile as he drops down to one knee in front of me, handing me the box. "Merry Christmas Maya" he says as I unwrap he box, opening it to reveal a gorgeous diamond ring on an intertwined silver band. "and marry me" he says finally as tears well in my eyes, looking between him and the ring in my hand.

I chance a look up at my family, expecting outrage but instead I find everyone looking on with smiles and tears in their eyes. I look back down at Josh and smile as I slightly nod my head. "Yes" I say finally as a grin takes over his face.

"Really?" he asks causing me to laugh as I nod.

"Really Josh" I assure him. "I'd love to marry you" I add as tears fall from my eyes. He takes the ring from my hand and slips it on my finger.

Tears spring from my eyes and before I even realize they're falling Josh is awake and brushing them away with a concerned look on his face. "What's wrong?" he whispers worriedly. "You have a nightmare?"

"No, no" I insist. "Nothing like that. I was just thinking about the day we got engaged."

A smile pulls at his lips while a chuckle tumbles out. "You mean the day before I wanted to propose but your best friend ruined it on purpose."

"Mhm" I hum, wrapping my arms around his neck. "It was so perfect."

I stare into his eyes and I'm dumbfounded that somehow I'm lucky enough to have this man in my life. He was all mine and I knew I didn't deserve him but I planned to spend the rest of my life showing him how much I loved him.

"Not as perfect as you" he argues, leaning forward and pressing his lips to mine in a soft kiss. I kiss him back tenderly, cursing the moment we pull apart. "Don't go today."

I frown, running my thumb across his bottom lip. "I wish I could stay" I admit, "but our families will kill us if we break tradition on this."

He groans, lying onto his back and tugging at his hair in frustration. "I hate superstitions."