[Chapter 19]: Convoluted

It was still a bit awkward training with Todoroki those next few weeks; A couple offhanded glances here, a few quick pull-aways there. The strangest thing was that you seemed to be much more shaken up than he was. It was almost as though he didn't even hear you to begin with, or maybe he didn't quite process what had transpired. It bothered you to still be around him all the time, but you still stuck with it. After all, you wanted to be a hero.

And after those tedious weeks had passed, it was finally the morning of the sports festival.

You stood before the mirror in your bathroom, your favorite pump up music blasting in the background.

"Today's the day..." You exhaled gently before slapping your hands on either side of your face. "LET'S GO (Y/N), IT'S TIME TO GET PUUUMPED!"

After washing your face and brushing your teeth, you took a few laps around the apartment to wake yourself up. Kuro meowed in confusion.

"That's because the UA sports festival is today Kuro!" You grinned while stopping for a moment to pick him up. "You're gonna watch me right? Just wait! I'm gonna make you proud!" He meowed in delight.

Shortly after, you ate breakfast, grabbed your freshly washed UA sweatsuit and headed for the door, but not before flipping on your small TV and leaving so extra cat treats out for Kuro.

- - -

"You nervous (y/n)?" Ochaco questioned.

"Hmmm, I actually feel pretty good." You smiled. "I've been training a lot. If anything, I'll do the best I can possibly do!"

"You're so enthusiastic!" She cheered. "I have to say, I'm a bit nervous myself..." She mumbled, tapping her fingers together in an adorable fashion.

"DON'T BE!" You encouraged, slapping your hands on both of her shoulders. "YOU'RE GONNA BE AMAZING!"

"Shut up." Bakugou growled from his seat

The atmosphere in the waiting room was tense. Most of your classmates were nervous and you could feel it.

"Everyone! Are you ready?!" Iida yelled after flinging the door open. "We will be entering soon!"

Your heart rate quickened at just the thought of walking out there to the crowds of roaring people. Izuku took a deep breath.

"Midoriya." Todoroki called out to the boy.

"Todoroki?" Izuku echoed back a bit confused. "What is it?"

The room stirred, directing their attention towards the two of them. You were no exception.

"Looking at things objectively, I think I'm stronger than you." Todoroki claimed.

Damn. Where did this come from?

"Huh?... Y-Yeah..." Izuku timidly replied.

"But All Might has his eye on you, doesn't he? I'm not trying to pry about that..." Todoroki's gaze only intensified further. "But I'm going to beat you."

Izuku's eyes widened at his words. Your jaw even dropped slightly.

"Oh? Is the best in the class making a declaration of war?" Kaminari nervously muttered.

"Hey, hey, hey! Why are you picking a fight all of a sudden?" Kirishima questioned in concern, placing a hand on the stoic boy's shoulder. "Not now, we're about to start!"

"We're not here to play at being friends." Todoroki scoffed, elbowing Kirishima's hand from him. He turned and walked off towards the door. "So what does it matter?"