[Chapter 41]: Trouble

It was like every other bar Ai had dragged you to in this sector of the city; grimy. It was filled with the kind of people with eyes showing they've already been to jail. Dispersed between them are those who don't remember why they were there in the first place.

But you were used to it. The bar itself was similar to Ranka's bar, but he always managed to keep the atmosphere upbeat. Of course, your presence had been a contributing factor as well. Right off the bat, you didn't recognize anyone there, but you choose to keep your hood up.

"Excuse me." You called out to the bartender. She peeked over her shoulder and noticed you had taken a seat.

"I.D." She coldly said, her hand held out towards you. You pulled your fake out and passed it to her as naturally as breathing.

It's all about playing the part.

"Here." You retorted in an equally cold tone. The woman glanced at it suspiciously.

"You're 20?" She scoffed.

"Is that not what it says?"

She scrunched her brow and reluctantly passed it back.

"What do'ya want?".

I need to look like I belong.

"Beer." You simply answered.

"What kind of beer?" She huffed.

Ahhhhh crap. I should have been paying more attention when Ai was talking about beer.

"Surprise me."

She complied and to no surprise, it tasted like pisswater. You sighed and reluctantly took a sip, gazing around the bar.

"I'll have what she's having."

You heard the familiar voice and turned back.

"Mikoto," You sighed. "what the heck are you doing here?"

"Making sure you don't get into any trouble." He whispered, taking a seat beside you.

The bartender passed a beer to the man with a raised eyebrow.

"You know this girl?"

"Yeah!" He smiled at the woman. "She's a work colleague of mine."

"Is that so..." She shyly mumbled. "Well, pardon me for giving you trouble earlier ma'am."

"It's all good." You insisted, taking another tiny sip of the beer. She tended to other patrons in the meantime. You looked over at the man beside you. "Quite the lady-killer I see."

"Oh, wha- uhhh you think so!?" He nervously laughed.

Ahhh, so bashful.

"Mikoto?"

"Hmm?"

"Shouldn't you get home to your daughter?" You plainly asked.

"Oh, she lives with my mother-in-law. Don't worry." He smiled. "Also, you have garbage taste in beer."

"My taste is nonexistent." You giggled. "I don't know anything about beer except that it tastes like toilet water."

"You know what that tastes like?! Ewwww..." He teased.

"That's not what I meant! It's a figure of speech!" You argued.

Mikoto's laugh was so warm, so welcoming. It managed to pull you from your thoughts anytime it bellowed from his chest.

But that state of forgetfulness didn't last long.

The laughter was overcome by a familiar voice, a voice that sent shivers through your body. You held fast to your composure despite wanting to flee. Mikoto began to babble on about his daughter, by your mind was much too preoccupied to listen. Without moving your head, you spotted a pair of men entering the bar through your peripherals.