Chapter 13

Kema crossed her arms over her breasts, still in shock. She stared up at Ikenna. Oh.My.Goodness. Was she dreaming? Was he actually here?

"Why are you here this late?" She forced the words out through her stiff lips.

He spread his hands, replying, "I called your phone for hours. It was switched off, went straight to voicemail. I have been waiting at your place for hours..."

She surveyed him. Like Oliver, he was tall, broad-shouldered, good-looking and light on his feet. She hadn't realized how alike he and Oliver were... well, in terms of physical build, anyway. Maybe that meant tall, huge, fine men were her type...

Because Ikenna was fine. With his jet-black eyes, the light trimming of hair decorating his lips, jaw and chin, the diamond stud in his right ear and his shaven head that gleamed under the fluorescent light overhead.

The familiar feelings rose in her heart. She hadn't seen him in a year but already, in this moment as she faced him in her sitting room, that attraction that had hooked her to him for three years gushed over her entire body.

But he had walked out on her. Hurt her more than anyone had ever done before.

Kema frowned. "What do you want, Ikenna?"

He shook his head and said, "I came to apologize... to tell you I'm sorry for—for breaking up with you. I made a mistake—"

"Ha!"

"I mean it, Kema." He sunk to his knees, looking up at her.

Kema stepped back. "What are you doing?"

"I'm begging you to forgive me. Give me a second chance."

She gaped down at him. This was what she had dreamed of for many long months... that he would return and tell her he had done her wrong and on his knees he would plead with her to take him back.

And astonishingly, it was actually happening. Now. Wow.

She didn't know what to say. The words swirled around her head and refused to pass through her lips.

Ikenna's eyes watered. His voice cracked as he said, "I'm sorry, Kema. I want you back in my life. I want to be your husband."

Kema's arms flopped down. She gazed at him, wide-eyed. What did he just say? Her husband? Did he just expect them to resume where they had left off?

The words erupted forth. "Ikenna, you broke my heart."

"I know. I'm sorry—"

"We were supposed to get married last year but you dumped me! And for months after, you didn't pick my calls; you refused to speak to me." Her chest expanded, her throat burned.

All those horrible months. Those months of endless frustrating questions. Did he leave because of the lack of sex? Did he ever truly love her? Was there another woman, someone prettier giving him sex all day and all night? How could she live without him? Should she have given herself to him and broken her rule?

But one day, she had eventually stopped asking those questions and woke up to realize that the pain had abated. And now she was just getting used to the idea of moving on. With Oliver.

And here Ikenna was. On his knees, wanting her back.

Kema closed her eyes and sighed. She didn't know what to do.

***

Oliver ignored the pounding of the rock tune from the earphones in his ears and the flashing beams of headlights from cars on the road as he jogged on the pavement. His gaze focused on the rapidly lightening darkness in front of him but his mind was on last night. At Kema's place.