Chapter 25

Four hours later, after dinner, with Lisa bathed and in bed, Kema and Oliver retired to the bedroom. He had not mentioned the move again throughout that time and Kema allowed herself to relax. He must have realized his mistake and would probably apologize anytime soon.

They undressed and climbed into his wide bath.

His back to her, her legs sitting over his, she soaped his hair with an apple-scented shampoo, enjoying the feel of her hands on his head.

He sighed, sagging backward onto her breasts.

Kema giggled. "It's amazing how much you love to have your hair washed."

"You're the best hair-washer in the land." He drawled.

"Thank you, my king."

"Don't mention it, my lady."

She massaged his head, a smile playing at her lips. She had never imagined she could be this happy with someone so different from every man she had ever known. But she was. Hopelessly, senselessly, in love with Oliver Constantino.

"You've changed your mind, haven't you, baby?" He whispered.

"About?"

"Your moving out. You'll stay with me, won't you?"

Kema's mouth sagged open. What the hell? Her hands fell from his head to her sides. She said, "Are you serious, Oliver? Why would I just change my mind like that?"

"Because you love me." He pulled away from her, shifting in the water to come face to face with her.

Kema took in a breath, struggling to control her temper. She muttered, "Yes, I love you but I'm not ready to live with you."

"Oh yes," Oliver sneered, "Because it's a bad thing and you're a good girl."

She glowered at him. "I never said it was a bad thing."

Oliver aimed a wet finger at her. "But you implied it, don't deny it."

Kema frowned. This was getting to be a problem. She spoke slowly, calmly, "We didn't discuss this. You have no right to spring it on me and then get angry because I refused."

Oliver's eyes darkened. Compressing his lips into a pink line, he moved away from her, pouring water from the tap over his hair.

Kema rolled her eyes. So now it was time for the silent treatment. Great. Awesome. So mature.

She rinsed her body off, eying him as he leapt out of the bath and toweled his hair and body.

Stalking into the bedroom, he yanked open a drawer and pulled out blue striped pajama bottoms.

Kema stepped into the bedroom. Ah. Pajamas tonight. All other nights, he had slept in the nude. "So you're not speaking to me now?"

"I'm tired, that's all."

"Tired? Convenient. You're never too tired for sex."

He glared at her. "Well, today, I am."

Kema narrowed her eyes. So this was the way he wanted to play it, hmm? Fine.

She jerked open another drawer, removed a cotton nightdress and threw it over her body. Sleeveless and pink, it stopped mid-way on her thighs.

Oliver collapsed onto the bed, the blue bottoms hanging below his waist, the black hair on his chest tracing a path to its home almost visible over the top of the waistband.

"This is stupid." Kema said, staring down at him.

"I've told you, I'm tired, Kema."

"You're acting like a child, Oliver. This is childish."