Chapter 11

"Thanks, ma."

"Have fun." Kema beamed at the sight of the little girl scampering away with her goodie bag of treats.

Here she was. At Bibi's eight year birthday party. On gift-giving duty. Well, at least, she loved the excited, typically gap-toothed smiles she received from the kids in exchange for the bag. She had spent three hours making up these bags yesterday evening at Adaeze's—stuffing coloring books, illustrated storybooks, sweets, crayon boxes and toys into each one. Bibi had demanded perfection. What else could one expect from Adaeze's daughter?

Kema grinned as her eyes scanned the party to catch Wumi on the dance floor, surrounded by three tiny dance-partners.

Adaeze's first born, ten year old Timi zipped toward the bouncy castle, followed by five other boys. In a smart pale oyster-colored gown, Adaeze skimmed from one canopy to another, a warm smile of welcome pasted on her lips. Harrison stood in a corner, holding a drink in his hand, and chatting with three men. A big clown circled the dance floor, trailed by shrieking children. Servers conveyed trays of food from the food area to the guests under the canopy. The bright sunlight bounced off the windscreens of the cars parked behind the fence at the rear of the canopies. One round-faced boy stumbled past, gorging on one of Wumi's cupcakes.

Great day. Even better because Ejike was back in Nsukka with his family. Mom and Dan still far away in Atlanta. Oh joy.

Kema smiled at the sight of the birthday girl herself, in a red-and black dress, coming toward her, hand-in-hand with a white-skinned girl, her dark hair done up in two neat pigtails.

"Hello Auntie K."

Kema glanced at the girl with the heart-shaped face and grey eyes. "And who is this pretty little friend of yours?"

Bibi rolled her eyes. "Oh-h, Auntie K. Don't you know Lisa?"

"No, we haven't met."

"We-ell, she's my best friend, okay?"

"Sure, whatever you say." Kema beamed at Lisa. "Hi, Lisa."

"Hi, Auntie K." She breathed out, pink lips beaming. "Bibi is my best friend."

"I think I've gotten that, thanks."

Bibi stuck out a hand to Kema.

"Yes, what is it?"

"Presents. For Lisa."

"Oh yes, forgive me." Kema picked one bag and handed it to Lisa.

"Thank you, Auntie K."

"You're welcome—"

Bibi's mouth pursed. "Only one?"

"I thought it was meant to be one each."

Bibi planted her hands on her hips. "Yes, for everyone else. But Lisa is my b—"

"I got it. Here." Kema thrust another bag at Lisa.

The little girl took it, smiled at Kema.

"Come on, let's go." Bibi beckoned to her friend and they scuttled off, nearly running into Oliver.

"Watch it, girls."

"Sorry, daddy."

"Sorry, Lisa's dad."

Oliver shook his head and strolled over to Kema. She looked fabulous in an orange pantsuit, with bright brown lipstick painted on those yum lips. He had never seen her with lipstick on before. Sunglasses perched on her hair.