Chapter 20

Oliver bounded toward them, a wide grin on his face. He said, "They're having a singing competition, can you imagine?"

Steven averted his eyes, sticking one hand in his pocket. Oliver's gaze swung to Kema. Something was wrong.

He approached her. "Hey, love—"

She held up her hands to him. Her voice was sharp. "Don't touch me! Why didn't you tell me about New York?"

Oliver sucked in air. His eyes swiveled to Steven. Steven turned his head away.

"It wasn't definite... he shouldn't have told you..."

"You should have still mentioned it!" Kema screamed. She couldn't believe the fury and distress coursing through her veins. This was just what she had feared. And this was precisely the reason she had settled for Ikenna. And why she had resisted Oliver's effect on her for this long. How could he?

"Okay, okay... you're right. I know I should have said something. I'm sorry... let me explain..." Fear scalded the air in his lungs. The way she was looking at him, with those her lovely eyes, now wide pools of disappointment and sorrow, he couldn't take it. Damn. He knew it. He shouldn't have gotten involved with her in the first place. Now, he didn't know how to live without her.

He murmured, even as she edged away from him, "We had planned that I would eventually go to New York for six months to a year but, Kema, I hadn't yet decided."

"Well, when you do, let me know, will you?" The words came out in a hiss. She stumbled backward.

He couldn't let her go. Oliver clutched her shoulders, attempting to pull her close.

She shoved off his hands and sped into the sitting-room. He came after her. Before he could reach her, Kema had snatched up the engagement ring on the table and slid it back on her finger.

Splinters of ice penetrated his heart, drawing blood. "Please, Kema. Don't leave like this. Not after all we've shared."

But she rushed to the door, calling out over her shoulder, "I need some time alone. I-I need to think..."

And just like that, she had left.

Oliver remained in that one spot, his gaze aimed at the door through which the woman he loved had just disappeared.

***

Inside the car, Kema folded her arms, her face directed down. She had barely heard the driver informing her that he had passed on Bibi's night bag to Oliver's housekeeper. All she cared about was getting as far away from there as quickly as possible.

Now, on the way to her apartment, she heard her phone ring for about the twentieth time. Glancing at the display, she saw it was Oliver. Again. The fist in her stomach twisted once more.

How could he keep this from her? Maybe because his plan had been to make love to her and then sneak back to the States. Maybe his declarations of love had been all lies. Oh God.

She flung the phone on the seat beside her and allowed it ring. Finally it stopped.

Kema wiped her mouth and picked the phone up. She found Adaeze's number and dialed.

Adaeze answered. "Hi, Kema."

Injecting a smile into her voice that she didn't feel, Kema murmured, "Ada. We've dropped Bibi off and the driver is taking me back to my place."

"Oh, that's good. I thought you would be spending the night in Oliver's place."

Kema managed a chuckle, even though her heart was on its knees, weeping. "Ah, you confess that that was your plan. To get me to stay with Oliver."