Chapter 23

Sitting up in bed, alone for a blessed hour, Kema smiled as she recalled Steven's reaction to seeing tall, leggy and wavy-haired Wumi stride into the room. He had practically drooled.

But for some reason, Wumi had been icy cold, responding to his overtures in monosyllables and avoiding his eyes. When she left that day, he had lingered behind to ask Kema if she could find out whether he had a chance with Wumi.

"Kema, he's handsome, polished and rich, yes." Wumi had muttered, "But he's a playboy. A dangerous playboy with a gun. Not for me, thanks. And anyway, I have Gbenga."

And that had been that.

Steven had taken it quite well and a few minutes later, she had heard him on the phone making a date with another girl.

"Hello darling." Ikenna sauntered into the room with a grin on his face. "How are you doing today?"

Kema sighed. She had to do it today. She couldn't put it off any longer. "I'm good, Ikenna."

He sank into one of the chairs beside the bed. "I saw the posse downstairs; your sis and your best friend. They were just arriving. Where's the hero? Not here today?" Ikenna's tone was mocking.

Kema rolled her eyes. She said, "When will you stop calling Oliver 'the hero'? You should be grateful to him for saving my life."

"I am, Kema, I am. But he's always here and you claim he's just your friend. I don't understand what kind of friend he is."

She coughed to clear her throat. "About that..." Her thumb and finger tugged at the ring he had given her.

His eyes fell to her hands. And constricted. He half-rose. "Are you about to do what I think you're about to do?"

"I'm so sorry, Ikenna but I can't marry you." She pulled the ring all the way out and held it out to him.

He glared at the ring but made no move to take it. He stood up. "Why can't you marry me?"

"I don't love you."

"And you're realizing this in one week? Because before this incident, you seemed to want to be with me. You took the ring."

"Only because you told me that I could return it at anytime." Kema shouted, stung. He knew this was a trial reconnection.

"I see. So you never wanted to marry me, did you?"

Kema scowled at the ring in her palm. Why was he making this so difficult?

"Why did you take me back? Why did you let me believe there was hope? Were you planning on breaking my heart like I broke yours?"

"No! I would never do that."

"Then why?"

"I don't know, Ikenna. I was... confused."

Ikenna leaned over her, eyes flashing. "Because it's him you're in love with?"

"Him, who?"

"Don't insult me, Kema. You know who I mean. Your friend, Oliver."

She wanted to deny it. To spare his feelings. But then, she changed her mind. He needed the truth. "Yes, okay? I'm in love with Oliver."

Ikenna clapped his hands on his head and whirled around to face the wall. He muttered, "I knew it. I knew it."

He swung back to glower at her. "How many men would remain in a sexless relationship with you for years? Would he?"

What? Without thinking, Kema snapped, "Maybe it wouldn't have to be sexless."