Chapter 6

Kema hung by the wall of the principal's office, her eyes sweeping everywhere—outside the window and around the room.

A teacher, Mr. Agagu, stood by the door in a forest-green French suit, his arms folded over his barrel chest, revealing small dark sweat stains under his armpits, despite the fact that it was still early in the morning and the temperature in the room was low. He said, "So the police just left with Mr. Inyang..."

Mrs. Ochei, Crestamead's principal, huddled behind her desk, shoulders slumped, her eyes red-tinged. "Yes, about an hour ago. I can't-can't believe that an underage prostitution ring has been operating under my nose. And a girl is dead. My God, I hope we can survive this."

The fourth person in the room, Vice Principal, Deaconess Akume declared, "We will. Don't worry, Principal Ochei." She rocked back and forth on her chair, attired as usual in a shapeless caftan with her hair bundled up in a turban.

Kema steered her gaze outside, to the various pockets of schoolgirls clustering, anxious, and fearful.

"If not for you, Kema...," The principal was saying. Kema returned her attention to the office. "You made Nike confess. You found out the truth."

Deaconess Akume paused the rocking. She concentrated on Kema. Her brow wrinkled. "You're the one who exposed this scandal?"

Kema stared at her. Why the almost hostile gaze?

But then, the VP flashed a bright smile. "Good job, Kema. Thank you."

Kema shrugged, replied, "I don't need any thanks. I would do anything for this school."

The principal gave her a shaky smile. "I know, my dear. You've done your best. But in two weeks, we'll have to close the school down—go on an early, probably extended vacation while the police and the ministry continue their investigations. If it were up to Rachel's parents, we would be permanently shut."

Mr. Agagu sighed. Deaconess Akume carried on swaying in her seat.

Kema detached from the wall. Yawned. She eyed her watch. Nine-thirty. She had been here for over an hour. Her stomach whined for breakfast. Her eyes yearned for sleep.

She said, "Principal Ochei, I'll have to leave now. You can call me later if there's anything else you need me to do."

"Thank you, my dear. God bless you."

She passed Mr. Agagu. "Good bye, sir."

"Odabo, Kema."

She glanced at the Vice Principal. "Good bye, ma."

"Take care."

Kema slipped out of the air-conditioned office, into the embrace of the warm morning. People lingered on the grass, in front of the classrooms, under the trees, talking, dissecting, and gossiping.

She moved past them, to her car parked under a huge tree with widespread, lavish leaves. As she pushed her car-key into the slot, a shadowy shape reflected off the side-window of her car.

She whirled around, heart thumping.

And then shot out a loud hiss.

The man beamed at her, revealing bright teeth. His huge, black-framed eyeglasses, one arm of it held together by duct tape, captured his face. Over six feet tall, covered in a black formless T-shirt over black baggy three-quarter length trousers, with his feet in heavy army boots.

"Old Soldier, it's you."

He beamed. "Auntie K!"

Old Soldier, the chief security guard of the school for over twenty years. He must be, like, maybe in his middle fifties. What did he want? She had given him three thousand naira only last week. Did she look like a Guaranty Trust Bank ATM machine?