XVIII: thoughts

hayden's pov:
today, we are visiting the palace of versailes. i was lost in my thoughts. my thoughts about school, popularity, and annie. i wasn't really sure why. i was just thinking about how awful it would be when we got back to school.
"good morning annie" i said, giving a fake smile.
"good morning hayden" annie said, sitting next to me at our usual table.
we all ate our breakfast and hopped on the bus.

on the bus, i couldn't sit next to annie. i ended up sitting two seats behind because jayden demanded on sitting behind her. there i saw annie talking to harvey petito?

i mean he seems pretty cool, but i mean he wasn't popular at all. if i wasn't already in a bad mood, i definitely was now. i saw her laughing.
what is she laughing about?
why does she look at harvey like that?
why do i care about popularity?
these thoughts ran through my head.

we got off the bus. i completely ignored annie.
"what's wrong?" annie said, jumping on my back.
"nothing" i said.
"hayden please i want to hel—" annie said.
"annie just please leave me alone!" i said, storming off.
why was i acting like this? i mean she was just talking to another guy.

we walked into the palace. we all split up.
i had eventually just drifted away from everyone else. i found myself outside in the gardens just thinking.

"hey hayden" nadia said, coming up to me out of nowhere.
i talked to nadia a lot at school. she was really cool. the guys at school thought she was the hottest girl at school and she was really popular.

"hey" i replied.
"whatcha thinking about?" nadia asked me.
"nothing much, actually pretty much everything," i said, chuckling.
"me too," nadia said, "i came out here to think as well"
"well you found me" i said, laughing.
"it's just crazy how lost you can get in your thoughts, what your mind can do to you" nadia said.

we looked at each other for a while. i don't know why, but i leaned in and kissed her. it was an in the moment sort of thing. i didn't even think about annie.
i smiled at her after i had kissed her.

i then turned to see annie running away in tears.
...how did she find me?
...and why wasn't i running after her?

a/n: omg thanks for 1k reads! it actually means so much <3