Chapter 4 Macaiah Vernaldi

My heart hurts so much Alec. Why did you have to leave me? Do I disappoint you? Is it because I’m not human? What is it? That whole talk you had with Sothe, was that the truth or was that an excuse to leave me behind?

          “Mistress Macaiah, are you okay?” Rio asked.

          “Yeah, don’t worry.” I told him.

          “Mistress, please don’t take this the wrong way but do you think what Alec said was really wrong?” Rio asked. Did Rio really care about humans that much?

          “Yes. If wants me safe so he chooses to leave me with a broken heart.” I said.

          “I don’t think it was wrong. I saw him when he left, he was crying. I don’t think he wanted to leave you. He does want you to be safe with our kind. It will be hard to get over but please don’t think ill of Alec. His heart was in the right place.” He told me. Alec and Rio became like brothers since they first met each other so of course Rio would defend him.

          “Okay. You have my word. Your right about his heart being in the right place. I just can’t help think that he is out of our lives.” I said.

          “We’ll get to see him around. I bet you we will.” Rio said cheerfully. He was a lot like a kid.

          “Promise?” I asked.

          “Blood Brother and Sister promise.” He said. We bumped our arms together to show our promise.

          “Is it okay if I go to Poland to see my family? I miss them.” Rio asked. He always went to  go see his family both dead and alive. He would visit the graves of this family and then visit his lively family. They knew he was a vampire. So they knew he was old.

          “Yes. But only if someone goes with you. Take Alexander with you.” I said.

          “Okay. Thanks Mistress.” He said. He was definitely like a kid. You had to watch him with a good eye. But Kaim and his friends were even more like children.

          Alaric, how can I move on from this? How can I forget Alec? He is your nephew. He would have been mine if I married you and never became a vampire. I was hoping to die so I could be with you. But I guess I’ll have to wait a little longer.

          I went down stairs and found Sothe sitting in his study. Sothe was the worker type. The one who would try to keep his company alive. It's because of him that the company has stayed alive these past hundred years. He was the president of the company so he knew how to handle everything. When people see him they think that he looks like his father and his grandfather. Never aging is hard, it’s even confusing when people say you look a lot like your mother our father if they had knew you long ago.

          “Macaiah…I’m sorry for what happened yesterday. It was wrong of me to do that to you.” Sothe said.

          “It’s okay. It’s not your fault, it was Alec you wanted to leave.” I said.

          “Honestly if he hadn’t left, I would have killed him but, I didn’t want you to look as sad as you did last night.” He said.

          “Did you really meant what you said last night?” I asked.

          “Every single bit of it. I know it was wrong of my to kill Alaric but my impulses drove me crazy. I had to have you for myself.” Sothe told me.

          “So these past thousand years you were suffering? Even now when I was with Alec?” I asked.

          “Yes. All those men are of Alec’s blood line, I couldn’t help but hate him for taking you. Even Adam and Aiden. I killed him too. The only thing I regretted was making you cry. And for that I am sorry.” Sothe said.