Chapter 8: Kaim Estes

Seeing Ameira again was a great relief so see she wasn’t dead. Being able to be around my little sister brings me happiness. Even though I was different back then, I still feel the same now as I did then. I’m not the sweet big brother that used to nurse his little sister back to help, I’m now a vampire that can kill her at any moment. I do my best to keep well fed but it doesn’t help that my sister has a smell that has a resemblance to mine. The same smell that lowered a vampire to drink my blood leaving enough to turn me. It was hard before Macaiah and Sothe found me. I would feed on innocent humans like they were nothing. Though I have slipped up a few times it doesn’t change the fact that I know its wrong.

          “Kaim!” Ameira shouted. She was running like she did back then. Being the ten year old girl that I once left.

          “I brought flowers for the house.” She told me. They were of her favorite colors, blue and yellow.

          “They are beautiful, Ameira. I bet mother and father would love them. Maybe instead of taking them to the house, we can take them to mother and father's grave.” I said to her.

          “That’s a better idea. I haven’t seen them in years.” She said. My sister had been asleep for over six hundred years never aging.

          “At least we can see them a lot now. It’s a good thing you live here. I can’t believe how long they have been dead.” She told me. Our parents had died when I was thirteen and my sister was five. I had been taking care of her since the day I turned. Now she is still the same age. The only thing I hope for is that she will age soon. With the spell she was under, we don’t know if she will age or not. It scares me not knowing.

          “So have you gotten married, big brother?” Ameira asked me.

          “No I haven’t. every time I was around a girl, I ended up not feeling anything. But there is only one room in my life that room is only for my little sister.” I told her. She smiled her big smile. Ameira look every bit as mom had. Dark blond hair and grey eyes. Even their smile was the same. Both were beautiful. We walked all the way to our parents grave and laid the flowers where they were buried.

          “Hi mom, hi dad. How are you? Kaim and I are doing great. We finally get to see each other again. I’m sorry I have been to your grave for a while. I was going through a tough time. I hope you will forgive me.” Ameira said. She always talked to the grave like mom and dad were there. Honestly it was a good way to show that we believe that they are around us all the time. It keeps her believing.

          “Big brother. Do you want to say something?” she asked me.

          “Sure. Mother, father, I promise that I will protect Ameira better than I did before. I won’t let anyone take her anymore. Please forgive me for all that I have done and for what I have become. And please forgive the sins I have caused. I know you would be ashamed of me for everything I have done. But I hope I can make up for it.  So please stay by our side and protect us both.” I said. Then the wind kicked in.

          “We better go before it gets dark. Then wind is becoming stronger.” I said.

          “It’s not the wind Kaim. Its mother and father. They are replying to your prayer.” Ameira told me. Did I mention Ameira was told to have special powers. According to a seer, my sister is bound to see paranormal activity. Our mother was the same way.

          “What are they saying?” I asked her.

          “They said that they were never mad at you big brother. They could see that you were hurting al this time. They also said that the sins you caused were not by you, but by you monster inside you. You heart is pure and it always will be. They also said that they love us.” She told me. I couldn’t help but smile. Everything my sister said was amazing.

          “Thank you mom and dad.” Was all I could say.