Chapter 5 Alec Torres

I had seen her grave. I couldn’t believe my eyes. It was the date people said she had died. But it was long after she was turned. Macaiah was pronounced dead on December 25th 929.

          “I had acted as if I were older each year so people wouldn’t know. It was hard but it was the only way to see my mother. She died in her ninety’s. she was ninety-two when she died. I was around her for sixty years as a vampire. She died in 972. She didn’t care if I were a vampire. As long as I was her daughter, that’s all she cared about. This whole area belonged to my family. My aunts, uncles, sisters, brothers, nieces, and nephews. All these years I watched them die. There is even the spot of where your parents are, that whole area belongs to the Torres family. I’ll show you.” She said. She took my hand and led me to where i believed would be the last place she would take me. Alaric Torres’ grave. Born 894, died 912. Beloved son, brother, and nephew. Next to it was Aiden Torres, born 1240, died 1258. She had showed me all the Torres’ that would have been my uncles. Alexander Torres, 1592-1610. So far each Torres that Macaiah knew had died at the age of eighteen. All the years she had been in love with someone else. The last we saw was born in 1952 and died 1970. Andrew Torres, my great uncle. Also died at eighteen. All these men where people I was related to. Macaiah had lost four men over the years she has been a vampire.

          “Every time I saw them I thought they are practically the same person, your hearts were all the same. Kind, gentle, sweet, funny, everything I had remembered all these years. You’re the same way. I never thought of you as a replacement Alec, I thought of you as an individual. They all knew I was a vampire just like you. They didn’t care, also like you. I thought this time I wouldn’t meet a man like you again. But I did. I was so happy. But I was afraid that Sothe might kill you like he did to all these other men. I was scared of losing you.” She said. I grabbed her hand and pulled her close to put my arm around her.

          “You will never lose me. I promise Macaiah. I even have to protection on my side to keep me safe from any vampire.” I told her.

          “So did they, but they still died.” She said. I could tell she was scared. Her heart was racing because of it.

          “You don’t think it’s only Sothe that’s wants to kill me.” I said suspiciously.

          “He’s not the only one. There are others. Vampires are not supposed to fall in love with humans, so they either die or will be turned. The elderly vampires are the ones that force us to choose. Most of the time the vampires that have to choose decide they don’t want to but yet they don’t want to bear to lose their loved ones. Even I don’t want to bear to lose you. You’re the only one who helps me live.” She said.

          “I already promised I wouldn’t die. And I will keep that promise.” I told her. She smiled at me and kissed me. I was happy to have her in my arms again.

          “So why did you come here. Rio and I were really worried about you. If it weren’t for Sothe, we wouldn’t have found you.” She told me.

          “I hadn’t visited my parents grave in seven years. I felt it would be a good thing if I did.” I told her.

          “Yeah, it is. We better go, your sister is bound to be worried.” She told me. She grabbed my hand and led me back to my car. It took us three hours to get back. I dropped Macaiah off at her house and went home myself. My sister had asked where I was.

          “I went to see mom and dad. You always visit them but I don’t. I felt its about time to get over their death.” I told her. She smiled and told me to go to bed. I went to my room to change. I had taken my shirt off and suddenly felt a breeze. My sister must have opened my window. I went to grabbed a t-shirt to go to bed. I was about to unbutton my jeans when I heard a noise.