Chapter Nineteen: Importance and Infatuation

I was only at home for a couple of hours before one of the suits from Buckingham palce made an appearence at my door. I sighed.

"Let me guess...you've come to collect me."

"Yes, Ms. Lestrade."

"And if I decline, there's an envolope in your jacket containing a plane ticket with my name on it." He nodded. "Right. Let's get on with it then."

I got in the car, and moments later Sherlock joined me.

"Are you upset with me?" He asked.

"Good deduction, yeah." 

"There's gonna be a bomb on a passenger jet, the british and Americans know about it, but rather than expose the source of their information, they're going to let it happen. The plane will blow up. Coventry all over again." Sherlock said.

"Good for you. How clever you are." I said dryly.

"The wheel turns and nothing is ever new." So you think."Why are you upset with me?"

"There's quite a list but...spoilers." I replied. He furrowed his eyebrows and we came to a stop at the plane. We got out of the car, going to the stairs to see our American.

"Well...you're looking all better." Sherlock told him. "How are you feeling?"

"Like putting a bullet in your brain, sir."

"We have something in common, who knew?" I asked, walking up the stairs. That last one was a bit harsh...but he's being stupid so I don't feel too bad.

"They'd pin a medal on me if I did...sir." We boarded the plan to discover it full of dead bodies, and all of a sudden all of our cases lately flooded back to me. The fake human ash, the little girls and their grandad. Their bodies were taken...for this. Sherlock looked around, still not having put the pieces together. He's being so slow.

"The Coventry Conundrum." Mycroft's voice said. He slid the curtain's open. "What do you think of my solution? The flight of the dead."

"Plane blows up mid-air, acomplishment for the terrorists, hundreds of casualties but nobody dies."

"Neat, don't you think?"

"I imploe you." I said.

"You've been stumbling around the fringes of this one for ages. Or were you too bored to notice the pattern? We ran a similar project with the Germans a while back, though I beleive one of our passengers didn't make the flight." The unsolved case. "But that's the deceased for you, late, in every sense of the word."

"How is the plane going to fly? Of coruse, unmanned aircraft, hardly new."

"It isn't going to fly...is it?" I asked Mycroft.

"This entire project has been cancelled. The terrorist cells have been informed that we know about the bomb. We can't fool them now. We've lost everything.  One fragment of one email and months and years of planing, finished."

"Your MOD man." I shook my head.

"That's all it takes. One lonely, naive man, despeate to show off, and a woman clever enough to make him feel special."

"You should screen your defence people more carefully."

"He's talking about you, Sherlock!" I exclaiemd,frusterated with his ignorance.

"A damsel in distress? In the nd, are you really so obvious? Because this was textbook. The promise of love, the pain of loss, the joy of redemption. And the woman smart enough to see it, but let it hppen anyway. Why is that?" Sherlock looked at me.