Chapter Thirty-Two: No Further Questions

~~~Claudia~~~

I sat beside John, my knee bouncing nervously.

"It's going to be fine." He whispered.

"This is Sherlock we're talking about, do you honestly beleive that that's true?" I asked, not looking at him. He cleared his throat.

"I did..."

"A consulting criminal." the Barrister repeated.

"Yes."

"Your words. Can you expand on that answer?"

"James Moriarty is for hire."

'A tradesmen?"

"Yes." Sherlock replied.

"But not the sort that'd fix your heating."

"No, the sort who'd plant a bomb or stage an assassination, but I'm sure he'd make a pretty decent job of your boilet." The court room laughed.

"Would you describe him as-"

"Leading."

"Oh, no." I covered my face with my hands and leaned my forehead on John's shoulder.

"What?"

"Can't do that. You're leading the witness. He'll object and the judge will uphold."

"Mr. Holmes!" The judge exclaimed.

"Ask me how. How would I describe him? What opinion ahve I formed of him. Did they not teach you this?"

"Mr. Holmes, we're fine without your help."

"How would you describe this man, his character?"

"First mistake, James Moriarty isn't a man at all. He's a spider. A spider at the centre of a web. A criminal web with a thousand threads and he knows precisely how each and every single one of the dances." The barrister cleared her throat.

"And how long-"

"No, no, don't...don't do that. That's really not a good question."

"Mr. Holmes!"

"How long have I known him?" Sherlock asked. "Not really your best line of inquiry. We met twice, five minutes in total. I pulled a gun, he tried to blow me up and drown my current girlfriend. I felt we had a special something."

"Miss Sorrel, are you seriously claiming this man is an expert? After knowing the accused for just five minutes?" I started banging my head lightly against John's shoulder. He pushed my lightly off of him, putting a hand on my back.

"Two minutes would have made me an expert. Five was ample."

"Mr. Holmes, that's a matter for the jury."

"Oh really?" I pinched the bridge of my nose. "One librarian, two teachers, two high-pressure jobs, probably in the City. Foreman's a medical secretary, trained abroad, judging by her short hair."

"Mr. Holmes!"

"Seven are married and two are having an affair with each other, it would seem. Oh, and they've just had tea and biscuits.  Would you like to know who ate the wafer?"

"Mr. Holmes! You've been called here to answer Miss Sorrel's questions, not to give us a display of your intellectual prowess. Keep your answers brief and to the point. Anythign else will be treated as contempt. Do you think you could survive with just a few minutes without showing off?!"

"Oh, no, don't ask that."

~~~

Sherlock was arrested for contempt, and it was now my turn to take the stand.