Chapter Twenty-Eight: Sugar

Sherlock sat at the Microscope, I sat beside him, and John and Dr. Stapleton resided on the other side of the room.

"Are you two sure you're alright? You look very peaky."

"Yeah, I'm fine." John answered. I noded in agreement.

"It was the GFP gene from a jellyfish, in case you're interested."

"What?"

"In the rabbits."

"Oh, right, yeah."

"Aewuorea victoria, if you really want to know." She told him.

"Why?"

"Why not? We don't ask questions like that here. It isn't done. It was a mix-up, anyway. My daughter ended up with one of the lab specimens, so poor Bluebell had to go."

"Your compassion is overwhelming." John said sarcastically.

"I know. I hate myself sometimes."

"So, come on then, you can trust me, I'm a doctor, what else ahve you got hidden away up here?"

"Listen, if you can imagine it, someone is probably doing it somewhere."

"Claudia, what do you see?" Sherlock asked. I moved over, sitting on his lap and looking into the microscope.

"It just looks like sugar. Regular sugar." I mvoed back to my seat. He picked up the slide, chucking it across the room.

"It's not there! There's nothing there! It doesn't make any sense."

"What exactly were you expecting to find?"

"A drug of course, it has to be a drug. An hallucinogenic or a deliriant of some kind. There's no trace of anything in the sugar."

"Sugar?" John asked.

"Sugar, yes. A simple process of elimination. I saw the hound, saw it as my imagination expected me to see it. A genetically engineered monster.  But I knew I couldn't beleive the evidence of my own eyes, so there's seven possible reasons, the most possible being narcotics. Henry Knight saw it too, but you two didn't. You didn't see it. We have eaten and drunk exactly the same things since we got to Grimpen, apart from one thing: You don't take sugar in your coffee and Claudia doesn't drink coffee."

"I see, so-"

"I took it from Henry's kitchen, his sugar. It's perfectly alright."

"But maybe it's not a drug."

"No it has to be a drug." He put his hands over his face. "How did it get into our systems? How? There has to be something...something, something...something buried deep." he turned to John and Dr. Stapleton. "Get out."

"What?"

"Get out, I need to go to my mind palace."

"Your what?"

"he's not going to be doing much talking for a while, we might as well go." THey left and I started after them. He grabbed my wrist.

"Not you. You stay."

"Why?" I asked.

"You help me think." I nodded, putting my hands on his head so that my fingers curled into his hair and my thumbs rested on his temple. He closed his eyes, and I couldn't help but feel awkward standing here watching him think. "I've got it. Come on."

~~~

Dr. Stapleton lead us into a room with a bunch of computers.

"Project HOUND. I must have read about it, stored it away. An experiment in a CIA facility in Liberty, Indiana." She logged in, typing in H  O  U  N  D.