Dark Days

We arrived at the location scoping it out quickly we headed in. The two of us in sync as we ran threw the twisting maze of the abandoned apartment complex. Yoshiko and I split up to cover more ground.

Silently we crept threw the building. It was ominously quiet and we made our way threw. I felt a chill creeping up my spine as I checked each door. My heart was pounding with anticipation as I opened each door way.

Each door contained traces of blood and a collection of obscene devices. Most likely used for sex or torment or some twisted combination but the body and culprit were missing.

With each stair well I felt my blood charger I could feel i was getting closer. Each door opened grew more and more obscene. I could not wait to finally end this sick bastard.

My mind kept thinking of his captive as if he had my Yoshiko. I had to destroy him. I would accept nothing else. He had to pay.

Suddenly a loud explosion came from the floor just above me. "Damn it! He cant get away." I snarled rushing up.

As I ran up the stair well I could hardly believe he was almost in my grasp. The door to that floor felt hot as I pushed it open to reveal an inferno roaring around me. I rushed threw the brilliant flames before suddenly I stopped dead in my tracks.

My heart sank and eyes widened. By my feet Yoshiko laid.. her legs were blown from her now charred body and her face covered in blood. Her eyes were welling up as  she smiled up to me. "Sorry Shusei... I had to face him for myself.." she managed softly as I dropped to my knees over her.

She smiled softly her burnt hand reaching to caress my face as I leaned in. She didnt even bother wincing. She just smiled for me. "S-Sorry this was the only time we get to fight together... i really wanted us to.. to.."

I knew what she meant and I knew where she was going. I kissed her softly. "I know Yoshiko, I know." I said softly brushing her beautiful hair from her face. Even in this state she was perfect.. I was doing my best to memorize her face.

Her grip tightened on my hand as she looked up at me tearfully, "Shusei... I l.." she tried but shed bled to much. Her eyes went gray and glassy as her body fell limp.

Tears were cascading down my cheek as i held her body against mine for a moment, "I love you too Yoshiko.. I always will." I told her softly. I stood between the flame my eyes narrowing. "Im going to destroy that sick bastard for you, Yoshiko. I swear it." I growled rushing up the stairs.

I made it to the next floor with a snarl. The man I was after stood before me. His face was twisted but not nearly as twisted as my own. I chuckled menacingly as i saw him carrying his other now life less victim on his back. The flames were rising and the integrity of the building was beginning to give.

I pulled my dominator with an insane grin upon my face "Say hi to Satan for me you sick fuck." I said as my gun transformed to its annihilation setting and blasted him.

A brilliant blue light sprang forth as the sybil system obliterated my target. His form turned to nothing but dust on the burning floor, just as well as his targets.

I walked down the steps grabbing Yoshiko's now lifeless body and carrying her down and out of the building. My lungs were filled with smoke as I carried my charred inspector out of the building. I sent a back up signal and laid her safely in my lap as I sat outside waiting for the MWPSB to arrive at the scene.  

I held her close as I brushed the hair from her face. I wanted to cry, to break down, to plead for her to return to me... However, I couldnt bring myself to do it. I just felt totally numb. Like the last of my soul escaped me.

A time passed though im not sure how long it was, to me it only felt as a couple of moments. When I looked up however I saw only Ginoza and Shinya. Shinya's demeanor had changed it was clear he was one of us now as he knelt beside me looking her over. We were truly like loyal hounds morning the loss of our owner.

Ginoza teared up looking down at the scene. He too had loved her. The ambulance arrived a few moments later and took her body from me. As they ripped her from my clutches the flood gates broke down and with it so did I as the tears spilled down like a waterfall.

Shinya pulled me to my feet and helped me into the back of the patrol car. He was quiet but something about him was calming almost like gramps. Ginoza took the drivers seat silently and began the solemn drive home.

We arrived back in the Public Safety Burrow. The events of that evening were disclosed for record keeping. We informed the rest of the team of the newest loss to the team and I went to bed.

For the next few days it carried on this way. Her funeral took place soon after, closed casket obviously as she was laid to rest beside gramps. I couldnt help but imagine if we had lived in the time before the sybil system. The time when you could be yourself. Maybe things could have been different for us if we lived then.. but i came to decide it probably wouldnt have changed anything. After all we only met thanks to the sybil system.

I hung my head as we went back inside. Ginoza came into the office as we worked and cleared his throat. "We have some news. A new recruit is to be joining us this evening. An inspector. Sense Im now the only Inspector among you dogs, I needed some help running the burrow. Im told shes done well in her training so you will all make her feel welcome."

Tomomi and Shinya had both recently switched status from Inspector to enforcer bringing our count five to one but Ginoza was being a bit quick to replace Yoshiko. I was curious though to meet the new girl. Seemed like life would simply carry on at the MWPSB as if my Yoshiko never existed.

Fin~