Chapter 20

+EDITED+

~Chapter 20~

        I sat in Pastor Mikes living room couch, his house was on the same property as the church, and when we have get-together with the youth group we usually take place in his house to keep the church clean from any crumbs. Pastor Mike left to get some grocery. He already contacted the youth group and told them we are holding a special get together, he never told them I was back. The great part is I can still see Kevin. He is the only one in my group of friends who doesn't go to church, but he does go to the get-together usually for the food but it's better than nothing.

        I hear a distant ring tone, I turn to look at my jacket lying on the opposite couch. I sigh and get up. I fumble with my jacket, trying to find the pocket with my phone. By the time I found it the ringing stopped. I looked to see it was a missed call from Nate. I gulp. Should I tell him what happened? What am I suppose to do now?

        Truthfully, I want to return to my old life. I don't want anyone related to the Haddix Force to be with me, but I knew I won't survive on my own. I need someone to protect me. I decided I would call him back.

        I sat back on the couch, my feet propped up on the cherry wood coffee table as I listened to the rings, waiting for Nate to pick up.

        "Ella?! Where are you? I am freaking out right now and the Carlen's are worried too!" Nate rushes out.

        "I'm fine. I was attacked near the portables and ran." I told him in a quiet voice.

        "Where are you right now?"

        "Where are you?" I asked him as I picked up a small picture frame, it was a picture of Pastor Mike and his wife who died of cancer last year.

        "I'm at the Carlen's. The Haddix Force came by to check on my house but looked at it for a bit and drove away, they didn't explain anything or recommend what to do. The Carlen's are out there to check things out themselves." He answers.

        "Was Joe there?" I couldn't help but ask. I placed the picture back on the table.

        "...No I didn't see him. Now answer the question, where are you?" He asks again.

        "I am at a friends house, can you come? Alone?" I ask him. I hear a long pause in return as Nate thinks of an answer.

        "It will be hard to get the Carlen's off my back." He comments.

        "I know," I whisper. "Please?"

        "Give me the address and I will get there as soon as I can."

***

        "Pastor Mike is everything okay? We rarely have these get-together nowadays." I hear Hailey ask Pastor Mike. I peak through the crack of the guest bedroom door and saw Pastor Mike grin Slyly.

        "Don't worry. We still are waiting for Mary, Garrett, Brian, Dominic and Layla then we will get started. " Pastor Mike replied. I let out a quiet breath and walked in the dark to the bed.

        "Why are we hiding?" Nate whispers from behind the bed. I motion for him to shut up and I watch him roll his eyes in the minimal light.

        "This is more fun the saying 'hey guys I'm back'" I tell him. He nods. "Thanks for coming on time." I tell him in a voice that was barely audible.

        "No problem. The Carlen's didn't want me to leave but I got them to listen to me. There is something wrong though. They are up to something. No good I tell you." He whispers back. My heart jumps at the thought of them.

        I hear the front door open and some more people come in. Pastor Mike soon began to start the get together. "Welcome everyone thank you for coming at such short notice, even though not everyone was able to make it, I see Dominic is missing but that's okay. He said there are some issues that he can't let go at the moment. But I have a surprise for you all." He greets,

        "That's our cue." I say as I get up, Nate followed my lead. I walked through the door and I don't know what happened first, the dog pile or the squealing festival.

        "Ella your back!" I hear my friends yell as Nate awkwardly stood by the door and everyone else just laughed at us.

        "I will be as good as gone if you guys don't stop choking me." I let out. They all instantly got up.

        I stood up and faced my friends, Autumn, Hailey, Skylar, Kevin and Beth. Tears glossed my eyes and I quickly blinked them away.

        "How about we say grace at the table then we can get back to your reunion." Pastor Mike suggested. I nodded and walked to the table.There were about fifteen people including me and Nate.

        Pastor Mike prayed the blessing for the food and for us, soon we began to eat. There were mainly a few cakes from stores, chips, dip, and a few other finger foods.

        "So how was it working for the cops?" Kevin asked me. I chuckled dryly.

        "Not as awesome as I expected but its good."  I answer shortly. I don't want to tell them about the troubled part. They don't need to worry.

        "I'm Beth what's your name and how do you know Ella?" Beth asked Nate. Nate gave her a small smile.

        "I'm Nate. And Ella is my neighbor." He replies. Beth's eyebrows scrunch together in confusion,

        "Neighbor?" She turns to me for an answer.

        "Uh, yeah I was moved to a house...for undercover." I tell them, I guess that's not a lie. But not the full truth.

        "Ooh get to bust the hot guys yeah?" Autumn asks me. I don't know why but my thoughts directed on Ashton.

        "If I told you anything I would have to kill you." I tell them.

        "Language," Pastor Mike warns from the other side of the room. I give him a thumbs up in return.

        I walk over to the dessert table and grab some grapes and strawberries. I also added a few pastries before returning to one of the folding tables that my friends sat around. I placed my food down and sat back in my seat.

        "So, you can't tell us anything about your job?" Sky asks in a disappointing voice. I nod.

        "I'm technically not even suppose to be here." I tell them before I can stop myself. Hailey narrows her eyes at me.

        "Then why are you here?" She asks me. Everyone at the table turns to look at me. Nate even looks at me. Hoping for an answer.

        "I was thinking we can have another haunted all nighter." I tell them, avoiding the question.

        The mention of our tradition of a bond fire in the backyard of an abandon house in the neighborhood got everyone excited. "Yes!" Kevin replies with a fist pump. "I wanted to do one before you came but the girls didn't want to do it without you. You up for it bro?" He asks Nate.

        Nate shrugs. "I doubt I have a choice. What is thins 'Haunted all nighter' anyways?" He asks. I grin.

        "You will see."

♪♫♪♫

A/N I am back!!!!

~I am so sorry for the long wait but I got carried away.......and forgot.....yeah Im terrible

~Please comment vote and follow! support means so much for me!

~Thank you for your reads and support!

~Jess<3