Chapter 1

"You wanted to see us, General?" Leera asks General Hux after entering the console room where he's standing, his back against the entrance.
He turns slowly, his look dark.
"Your mission failed," he says sharply. "I don't have time for failures."
Leera looks down.
Mara looks straight ahead while her friend and fellow First Order Sergeant takes General Hux's rant on how this massive operation doesn't have time for things to go wrong. That there's too much at stake.

"Sergeant Mara, please leave us. Ren wants to see you," Hux says.
Mara nods and takes her leave, while leaving her friend to face the rage of the General, but she catches him saying "I'm glad you didn't get hurt" to Leera once they're alone.
Mara smiles. The General might act as uptight and strict as much as he wants, but she knows he can't keep up the act around her friend. Their relationship erases any sign of rank and order.

---

Mara swallows hard before entering the room where Kylo is, his cloaked back facing her.
She clears her throat.
"General Hux said you wanted to see me," she says carefully, afraid of his fury that normally follows a mission gone bad.
He turns, his moves menacing.
She flinches in fear.
His hand fly out, his fingers forming a grasping claw, pulling her by the force towards him till his actual hand is around her neck and she can't breath.
His brown eyes lock on hers, flaring with darkness, consumed with so much hate and anger.
"Just end me quickly," Mara tries to say while gasping and stuttering for air.
Kylo slams her into the console table, her back aching while countless buttons and controls dig into her backside.
"I'm sorry," Mara manages to say.

Kylo loosens his grip some, his eyes softening some too, imminent wrath withdrawing from his simmering stare.
"It was an ambush. We lost 3/4 of the troop. We barely made it out alive. The thing you wanted was almost impossible to get a hold of," Mara says.
"Almost?" Kylo asks, letting go of her neck altogether.
Mara smirks.
"Almost," she replies, sticking her hand inside her jacket and pulls out a chip.
Kylo's darkness vanishes completely while taking the item from her hand.
"You know I hate to lie to my friend and watch her take the heat from General Hux," Mara starts saying.
"We all know what kind of heat she's taking from Hux," Kylo shrugs. "Well, it's impossible for me not to notice their little fling." He looks at Mara, his brown eyes scanning her quickly, before returning his inspecting stare to the chip in his hand. 
"Yes," Mara sighs, finding it hard to swallow again, thinking about the fact that Kylo knows about Leera and the General, that he can sense things like that, but she can't stop her mind from thinking she could use some "heat" herself.

Kylo stops studying the chip and looks up at Mara, feeling a change in her aura, a certain longing. The very thing he just said he could notice, have been noticing, but ignoring. Not just from Hux and Leera, but from Mara herself. A conflicted emotion.
It's a familiar longing, but also something he's learned to suppress since it's supposed to be something he should not want.
He should only want power. The power of the dark side.

Mara knows Kylo's dilemma all too well, that this twisted thing she got going with him can't be anything but... She doesn't even know what to call it. At one point he wants to kill her, and she fears for her life, but every once in a blue moon he's actually smiling his quirky smile at her, his way of telling her "job well done" or "keep up the good work". A smile that is saved only for her. 
At the end of the day she is his slave, and he is her master. She's bound to him by duty, and a hidden desire. 

If Kylo could only use his rage for something good, to do her good, she wouldn't mind so much. Mara knows he's 99% violent anger and that she's his primary target to channel it, but even though she hates to feel his grip of death closing in on her at least once a week, she feels sorry for him, that he has to deal with so much hatred.

General Hux got Leera to work off some of that rage. Though their relationship is a secret, Kylo just revealed that he knows about them. He knows a lot of things. Even deeply hidden ones.