chapter 7

David's POV

we were watching awkward and I remembered how my brother jerry and his girlfriend were that touchy in high school. I'm not jealous, but I wish I could just grab Claudia like that. But she's a challenge to me she never gives in easy, never. I lift myself from the bed and make my seductive piggy face at her. " I'll be right back babe. Don't run off anywhere okay? If you do I'll cry you a river I swear."

I knocked on Marie's door wondering why she was sadder than usual today she let me in right away and I sat in the chair she has there by the computer. " Marie, how come you were booming this afternoon, but then when you got here you were sad?"  "Well that's it Dave *nickname for him* I wasn't happy today. do you see that over there?" she pointed to a stack of letters piled all together. I nodded my head willingly. " All those letters. All of them. Three years worth sent back. Unopened by Jerry. and what hurts the most is what if he's gone or worse he's moved on?" she started to break down,but I didn't know what to do. I got up, and walked over to her and poked her in the arm, seeing her head lift I asked," And what about when you ran in earlier?".... she shook her head and told me to ask Matt. with that I nodded and said I had to get back to Claudia,and left.

two weeks later.

Jerry's POV

there's only two weeks left and my whole platoon and I get to head back home. It's official this time. I'm so siked to go back already. I already have my hello planned out. If Marie still works at the music store then I will be sure to get there before her shift and have Arusa and Trinity help me set up in the rec. room for the employees and when she goes to sign it, I'll have the manager leave a note by her locker, telling her to go to the rooftop and when she arrives ( where we snuck off to when we were younger) I'll be waiting with her favorite flowers: Black orchids.

We are on very low watch out since the war has technically come to an end. there are six other platoons in Cambodia, but they are staying a week to two longer. At this point I don't blame Marie for not responding because last week I got a whole bag full of the letters I had sent her... so did some of the other men. We didn't take it hard, just the fact that are family might think we were gone or didn't have the guts to Write them, since our choice of words were very limited. (none of the letters could consist of location,time,day,what was going on...etc... if you did writing privileges were taken away)

I walk back to my hammock and rest there for a couple of hours

DREAM~

I heard Marie's voice very distant crying and sobbing.. barely making out the words," Jerry, wake up baby. please,please,please wake up. I promise to stay here forever, just please keep breathing and open your eyes." I tried to escape this nightmare but it remained. I heard beeping and voices shuffling around as well. I heard much more crying and a burning sensation coming from my head. How long have I been asleep I wonder? i try to wake up but can't. is this real? what happened please don't let it be me lord, please.

Three Weeks Later:

Marie's POV

The only thing that the officer told us when Jerry came home on life support with twenty other men was that the camp had two sabotage workers who poisoned them with a brain damage, so Jerry can wake up autistic or with memory loss but if his immune system was able to fight it he'll be alright hopefully. He has been home for three weeks now and I haven't been able to say hi to him yet. I wish he would wake up. I cry most of the time and sometimes I take some of the letters I wrote and read them out loud. I go to the hospital with Claudia, mostly because she takes me from and to the hospital.

Tonight I'm back home Claudia just managed to bring me back and I'm on the bed now catching up on the Awkward. episodes. Eventually I finish the two from the last weeks. I remove my over shirt and my capri's. I head to the bathroom with a towel in my hand. Even though the restroom is connected to my room I have to knock because it is shared with Matt's room and David's room is across the hall. No one is in there so I go in and start the shower. Soon, I jump in caressing my hair and body in soap to think about that it  has been almost three days since my last shower. eww. when I was about to get out I heard one of the doors open. shit! "ummmm.Hello?"

"yeah, it's me. I gotta take a shower." Ugh it was Matt.

"can you please get out for two minutes and I'll be out of here? Or just give me my towel...throw it over."

within seconds the towel was thrown and I caught it, wrapping the towel around my body. Shit! (again) Without thinking I stepped out of the shower and was immediately forced to turn around. "oh shit!, um can you pass me what I left over there?" I asked him.

" you mean your underwear and bra?"

"yes that...thank you for noticing." I joke

it lands on the floor in front of me but the under wear lands on my head. Instead of being a dunce, I open the door to my room and kick out the bra and walk out closing the door...and locking it. I quickly get changed and drift off to sleep