Chapter 16

Iris opened her eyes as the groans and grumbles of irritated witches became clear. Glancing over the crowd of faces, she noticed something peculiar about them.

Usually when she returned, she would get the casual shout to hurry to get out of the way and several more grumbles from those around the person. This time was different as the crowd stared at her in awe.

Stepping out of the room, she looked for Luka. Finally, she spotted him talking to a witch.

Quickly, Iris stomped to where he was. Noticing her, he waved in her direction saying, "See, I told you I was waiting for Iris." Iris sped up her pace as she nearly ran at him.

Grabbing onto his arm in a death-grip, she growled lowly, "What the fuck do you think you're doing?" Taken aback, Luka glanced at the other woman, who, in turn, stared at Iris in awe, much like everyone else.

"She's the guard, isn't she? She told me that she didn't recognize me and wanted to know who was letting me enter the country. I told her about you. She didn't believe me and I told her what you looked like." Luka stuttered out, paling at Iris's stillness.

Without another word, she yanked him out of the crowd and through the building. She couldn't believe the idiocy both boys had. Was it from their mother or from Belial?

Stepping out of the building and onto the golden streets, she pulled up the silk mask to cover the lower half of her face. Looking around, she swore. Almost every person on the street was staring at her.

It seemed word had spread through the line.

Glancing at the clear blue sky, she asked herself why she only wore the same clothes on every job.

Too late now.

She walked down the street, people moving out of her path.

"Why is everyone staring?" Luka asked as he glanced casually around. Iris continued as she said, "Some are staring because they can smell what you are. Others are staring because of me."

"What did you do?" He continued. Normally, she would have snapped at him to be quiet, but she was just grateful to have a distraction from all of the working minds. It sent a shiver down her spine as she thought about what they were thinking.

"I have a reputation. It's also the hood. The hood and mask are kinda obvious." She answered. Every witch had a hood of some sort, and normally she would go unnoticed even with her own hood up. However, if they were to look closer, they would see the intricate designs of her coven's mark — a dingbat leaf.

Normally, no one would notice such things, but since word had spread about her, the people knew she was among them.

Every witch in the city knew her as her hood and coven's crest was plastered on temple walls in memory of all that she had achieved for the witches.

If Luka hadn't made such a scene in the building, she would've pulled it down and walked through the crowd like a normal denizen. However, she attempted to preserve her identity with the hood and mask covering her face, only drawing more attention to herself.

She felt as though insects were crawling under her flesh, keenly aware of the stares and whispers.

Looking around, she noticed the canal. She made her way there until she realized she was still holding onto Luka. She was just going to have to continue walking down the street.

Pulling him forward so he was walking next to her, Iris muttered, "How can you stand such attention?"

Luka glanced at her curiously. The male looked too comfortable with the amount of attention they were receiving.