Chapter 20

"Hit with the left, then — yes. That's it, everyone!" Iris shouted to the crowd of ten.

Glancing through the crowd, she noticed many of them were cradling wounded limbs. She stared each one in the eye until they released their damaged appendages.

Reaching the last person, she saw that he wasn't holding onto some faintly bruised arm. She turned her attention away from his form to his eyes.

"Everyone is dismissed. Luka, I want to speak to you." She ordered the remainder of the class. She heard feet shuffling past her.

Grabbing onto his upper arm, so high that it was to her ear, she pulled him closer to the lake.

"What are you thinking?" He asked as she finally released him. Iris stared into his silvered eyes, seeing a warm glow behind them.

She shrugged, looking away. "That you're powerful. Those witches had been training since they were able to walk, yet you beat them so effortlessly. You've had four years."

Luka shrugged as he looked at the water. "I had a good teacher."

"No, you didn't. Do you remember the deal we made, two years ago?" Iris asked, glancing around the field.

"Not really." He shrugged once more.

Iris sighed, looking down at her feet, "Remember to be careful of the deals you make and who you make them with."

Looking up at him, she said, "We made a deal that if I beat you, we make another deal. So, I'm calling it in now. There's a demon that I've been looking for, a demon you know personally. If you can make contact with him, I'll find your mother and keep her safe. If you can't, I'll still find her and bring her back to Stila, but you'll have to enter my coven. Choose between the two."

Luka stared at her, his eyes wide. It hit Iris that he hadn't seen his mother since he was exiled from his father's home.

What she was offering him was worth more than his servitude. He would accept the deal she was offering him, she knew he would.

Luka blinked, the hope in his eyes draining away to heartbreak. Shaking his head, he said, "I won't take that deal. I can't return to the Demon-Realm. I was exiled. If I return, Abigail will have my head." Iris gaped at him.

"But - but what about your mother?" She asked. How could a child not do anything to see their mother again?

She continued to stare at him as he shrugged and said, "I'll put her in more danger if I'm around her. She's hidden from them for years, she's good at hiding." A noise slipped from Iris's throat as she thought about what to say.

Luka chuckled as he walked past her. Twisting around, she nearly shouted, "Then what will make you agree to make a deal with me?"

Luka did not turn as he continued to walk.

Iris watched as he walked into the building. Slowly, she closed her mouth as she thought about what he had said.

A small smile broke through her lips as she thought about how much he had changed from the jittery, child-like male. A witch's life is short but it changes vastly in just a short period of time.

She chuckled as she followed him into the building.

Luka was no normal mortal. She was curious to see what his life would be in the next century. After all, he was the son of Belial and a powerful Fire-witch.

She was heading for the cafeteria when she felt something pull at her jacket. Glancing down, she saw a little witch-boy. His hair was a deep brown, almost black. Iris couldn't catch a glimpse of his eyes as his head was downcast as though nervous.

Squatting to be on his level, Iris asked, "What is it, little one?"

The little boy's face turned another shade of pale as he shakily gave Iris a letter. Once taken, the boy ran away from her. Iris watched him as he dove between legs and arms.

Getting up, she opened the letter. Crumpling it, she shoved it into her pocket. Turning on her heel, she turned to her right and continued walking.

Seeing a flight of spiral stairs, Iris ran up them, two at a time. By the time she reached the top, she was huffing in and puffing out air.

"You took your time." Josephine criticized Iris. Iris glared.

Josephine didn't glance up as she dipped her quill-pen in ink and continued writing.

Iris listened to the scratching of the pen as it glided over the paper.

Setting the pen aside, Josephine finally looked up at Iris. She got up, her chair barely making noise.

Leaning against the front of the desk, she looked Iris in the eye and said, "You have a job." Iris slouched as she made a very noisy groan.

"Quit your dramatics. I need you to go overseas again." Josephine snapped.

Iris dropped onto the couch, head on one armrest, legs on the other. She watched Josephine's eyes narrow.

Iris gave a sly smile.

"You need to go to Saelon." Immediately, Iris felt her heart cool and her insides tighten. Josephine gave a shiver as her breath came out in a brilliant cloud.

"No," Iris said evenly, the temperature around them continuing to drop. Josephine's entire form shook as she mumbled, "Stop. Stop, I'll send someone else-"

"Don't send anyone anywhere anymore!" Iris bellowed, the air around them plummeting to the lowest degree.

She barely felt the burning of the mark of servitude as it seared into her chest. Josephine was a fool to think such a mark could bind the two together.

Josephine was as blue as the sky outside the window when Iris looked away, breaking the concentration she had on freezing Josephine's blood.

Gasping, Josephine shrieked, "Fine. Fine. You do what you want for the next century. Get out. Just get out."

Iris took little time in leaping off the couch and out the door.