Chapter 30

Iris's scowl deepened as she noticed the giants waiting. She was not going to get a moment of peace that day. Still, she felt rejuvenated from Julia's healing magic.

"Witch, help giants." A giant grumbled, noticing Iris.

"Yes, yes, the witch help giants. What can witch do to help?" Iris asked, staring up at the giants.

"Witch, come with giants." The giant bellowed, spit flying. Iris flinched slightly, remembering that the giant had previously broken bone to get her attention.

"Then take me there." Iris demanded. The giant huffed a big, gag-retching breath.

Leaning down, he thrusted his large hand at Iris. She clambered onto the large hand, barely able to hold on. She was amazed that she could even fit. Giants were large but not large enough to hold a witch with one hand.

He cupped her body with his other hand.

Iris was forced to duck down as the giant began to run. The wind and pressure was shoving her into the palms of the giant's hand.

"Witch, mustn't tell others about giant village." The giant guttered out.

"Unless the safety of the witches is threatened, I won't tell." Iris muttered, doubting the giant could even hear her with the wind.

Iris sighed as she watched the terrain pass in a dark green blur. She had never truly entered the forest before — it was considered dangerous with all of the enchanted creatures who preferred their own way of life to that of the witches'.

If she were to close her eyes and listen, she was sure that she would hear silence. Iris closed her eyes and listened. She was surprised that she could hear beyond the heavy breathing of the giant and the rushing of the wind.

Strange birds sang a tune Iris had never heard. Branches cracked as large feet stepped on them. A humming of voices getting louder.

Iris opened her eyes to find that the giant was slowing as he approached a village of giants. She twisted around to see all of them.

The clothes the giants wore were close to rags. Cloths covering the women's breasts while the men wore nothing more than a pair of muddy pants.

Iris felt the giant's hands lift her before she was plopped onto the ground, staring up.

"So what's wrong?" Iris asked, breaking the silence the giants had created when they saw her.

There was rustling of fabric and grunting in the back of the crowd that had formed. Iris tried to get a better view, but all she could see was legs.

The rustling fabric got closer, and Iris could see orange and red feathers jostle at the top of the crowd. Iris stared at the feathers, trying to remember where she had seen such colors and textures before.

"Realm-witch Iris meets leader Kaos of the Eastern Giants." Iris looked down from the feathers to see a smaller giant. He was smaller than the other giants, yet still twice the size of any student at Lockin.

"Yes, Iris meets leader Kaos of the Eastern Giants," Iris murmured, bowing in respect for the leader. On rising, Iris's right fist found its way onto her left side, a salute in witch culture.

"Giants have a problem with crops."

Iris gawked at him. The giants had brought her through the forest to help them with crops. She was not amused by the turnout.

Iris tasted the words before she spoke them, "I'm sorry, I am not a farmer."

"It's not the crops, witch. It's an angered spirit." Kaos bellowed, spit flying from his large lips.