Chapter 2:

Chapter 2:

I woke up from the strangest dream, but it wasn't even close to the sight I saw when I opened my eyes.

My entire room was covered in balloons and confetti.

Ugh.

A sigh escaped my lips, I had a feeling I would be the one cleaning this up later.

I read a small banner that stretched from my door to my closet that read 'Happy Birthday' then written beside it 'Dani'.

A small smile formed on my lips, Dylan did care about me, even if it was just a little, it still mattered to me.

He was the only one.

My mom 'cared' but she was different now. Never at the house, never helping me with anything, talking to me through anything, protecting me.

Nothing.

My 17th birthday. What joy that brought to me. Just one more year of hell before I could enjoy another 4 years in college.

I knew Dylan would be with his friends and mom would be at work all day. Lucky me, alone on my birthday.

Again.

At the foot of my bed I saw a rectangular box and I raised my eyebrows in curiosity.

My very own present.

I pulled the box towards me and wiped my eyes with the back of my hand, yawning, before lifting the lid off gently.

Inside there was a dark maroon dress, just a regular sundress, but it was beautiful. I had a feeling Dylan had picked it out because mom could never find something so.. Today.

I slid out of bed and dragged myself into the shower, washing my body and hair before getting out quickly. Because it was my birthday, I felt like I'd go all out.

I'm sure the books wouldn't mind if I wasn't quite as ugly for a day.

Sitting in front of my mirror I brushed my dark brown hair and applied make up to my dark blue eyes to the best of my abilities. I decided I could wear the dress and pulled it awkwardly over my head and straightened it out around my body.

The dress was beautiful.

I slid on some sandals and grabbed my bag before walking slowly down the stairs, being careful on my foot, and out the door to the library once again.

My thoughts found their way to when we moved to Florida freshman year. Dylan was a sophomore and me, obviously, a freshman.

We had moved from North Carolina so it wasn't a huge change, or a huge problem. But my it was my friends I'd miss, and my dad I'd miss the most.

No one knew.

If only I'd begged him to stay instead of telling him to go, he'd still be here.

We'd still be happy.

I thought of the whispers floating aimlessly through hallways and the rumors spreading quickly around the cafeteria.

The people who I'd started to know dropping like mosquitoes and then attacking me viciously all at once.

There were people who would look at me, and I knew they wanted to help, but they couldn't stand the hateful threats, painful comments.

That's why I chose the books.

Books don't judge.

Books don't start rumors about you and ruin your life.

Books don't.