Chapter 9:

I swallowed harshly.

Glancing over at Riley, he was completely oblivious to what was about to happen.

And I knew exactly what was about to happen.

Thoughts of the day my dad left echoed in my mind as the once beautiful landscape turned into a nightmare of deadly memories.

I stood up, my hands beginning to shake.

"I-I'm gonna go for a walk."

Riley looked up at me, his eyes full of something I couldn't understand. Maybe confusion? But I didn't wait to find out, I simply turned and walked away. I could hear him getting up so I quickened my pace to a jog, then to a sprint. I ran and I ran as far as my legs would take me, following the path we had taken until I collapsed in the middle of the road.

I couldn't take it anymore. My dad left because of me. It was all my fault. All because of the fishing. I knew I shouldn't have agreed with coming here.

My dry eyes filled up instantly with tears, and almost suddenly, they were streaming down my face.

I could breathe and I couldn't see but I didn't care. All I wanted was forgiveness and for my dad to come home and give me a hug and to tell me it wasn't my fault. But that wasn't going to happen because it was my fault. It was all my fault.

• Flashback •
"Dani, eat your peas."

I glanced up at my dad to see a small smirk decorating his face.

"Ew dad. No, thank you."

He laughed slightly and I joined in. It was a joke between us. Ever since last Christmas when the stomach bug was going around and I caught it right after eating a can of peas, well, let's just say that was the end of my pea fetish.

"Dani don't disrespect your father. Eat the damn peas or go to your room."

My stomach coiled at her tone. We were obviously joking, but she had developed some sort of mental illness when grandma died. She'd flare up about something as little as peas.

"We were only joking mom."

I looked pleadingly at Dylan across the table, waiting for his support, then to my dad.

They both sat in silence.

"Are you talking back to me?"

I swallowed air,

"No, no. I jus-"

He voice raised,

"First your father, now me? You're on a roll tonight young lady. Open your mouth one more time and you're grounded for a week."

I opened my mouth to speak again, but that was what she wanted. So I held back my words. Looking towards my dad, he averted his eyes.

He was just going to let her treat me this way over nothing.

Tears formed in my eyes and I let them fall down into my lap.
-----------
I heard yelling from downstairs. Probably my parents arguing over something stupid. They had fought for as long as I could remember. My dad's cool temper could only withstand so much of my mother's short one. And the fought. It was nothing new.

Then out of nowhere I heard a crash, my stomach flipped. I heard Dylan run out of his room and I followed suit, chasing him down the stairs.

My dad came storming out of their room, a suitcase in his hand. His eyes met mine and softened.

"Dani, tomorrow, we're still on for fishing."

I shook my head, observing the scene in slow motion.