Chapter One

Nekoda's POV

"Oh my god I hate you! I absolutely hate you!" I screamed at I chucked my shoe at my best guy friends head.

"Nekoda calm down! I'm sorry I meant to tell you sooner I just didn't know how!" Conner yelled back as he caught the shoe.

I glared long and hard at him. "Don't tell me to calm down!" I say and chucked a pillow from the couch at him. I was furious, and mostly upset. My guy friend of fourteen years was leaving me to move to the other side of the country. And he had three months to tell me, but he chose two weeks before he left to tell me. "How do you expect me to calm down, Conner? You're leaving me!" I screamed and sat cross legged on the floor, fuming.

He slowly walked over to me, but sat a good distance away. "Kody, please I'm sorry okay? Please, you have to understand." He said and looked at me with his pale blue eyes. I was furious at him, but yet I was also heartbroken. This was the boy I had come to love over the years and now he's just leaving me.

"I can't understand! I mean you can't leave me, you can't." I choked out and my eyes stung. I made sure to keep my head down, just to make sure he didn't see my face.

"Kody, are you crying? Kody, look at me." He said and quickly crawled over to where I was sitting and forced me to look at him by putting his fingers under my chin. He looked me straight in the eye. "Kody, please don't cry. I'm so sorry, you know if I had a choice that I would stay."

I angrily whiped away the tears that raced down my cheeks. "I know that Conner, but you don't understand." I said through gritted teeth.

"Understand what? If I don't understand something just explain." He begged me.

I shook my head. "No, I can't tell you, and I don't want to either. Just go." I said and looked away with my arms crossed.

"Kody just-"

"No, just leave, go." I said harshly, cutting him off. I continued to stare at the wall to my right. I heard him sigh and slowly stand up.

"Bye Kody, I'll try to visit tomorrow."

"Don't bother." I snapped. He sighed again, opened the door, and slammed it shut behind him. I instantly felt a pang in my chest and I buried my face in my hands as my whole body shook as I sobbed.

I stood up and stomped up towards my room. "Nekoda is everything alright?" I heard my mom say. She must be home from work already.

"Yeah, Mom! Everything's fine!" I say after taking a deep breath. "I'm just going up to my room!"

"Oh, okay, but can you come help me with these groceries? I have more in the car!" She says as she passes the steps, several bags looped through her arms.

"Yeah, sure." I mumbled and walked back down the stairs and walked out the door. I hooked five plastic bags on each arm and walked into the kitchen. I hurriedly placed the bags on the counter since they were hurting my arms.

"Hey honey, did you hear the Williams' are moving to New York? His dad got a job there that pays really good money. I'm sad to see them go though!" My mother rambled as she started to put the groceries up.

"Yeah, I heard." I mumbled as I threw the plastic bags away.

She gave me a look. "You sure your okay?" She gasped in realization and slapped her forehead. "Oh my goodness! You're best friends with Conner! How could I forget? I'm so sorry sweetie that must be hard, come give momma a hug." She said with her arms opened wide.

I quickly go over in my head to either ignore her or give her a hug. I sigh in defeat and shuffle over to her and wrap my arms around her. "I'm gonna miss him a lot, Mom." I sigh into her shirt. She smelled like lemons and rosemary.

She stroked my hair. "I know sweetie. I hate to see them go too. But you and Conner can still text each other." She smiled down at me before I broke the hug.

"Probably not." I said almost in audible. "But you don't understand, Mom. He was my best friend!"

She rolled her eyes and put one hand on her hip. I had her brown hair and green eyes. "Don't you have a crush on him or something?" She asked before turning back to the bags and putting the contents away.

"No." I stretched out the word before running my fingers on the hem of my shirt.

She smiled at me. "Oh yes you do." She laughed then sighed. "Too bad he's moving, you two would have been cute!"

I groaned. "Mom, too soon." I said and headed to the stairs. "I'm going to be in my room!" I called over my shoulder and rushed up and slammed the door behind me. I walked over and flipped onto the bed, burying my face into the pillow. "I wish he wasn't leaving." I sighed into the pillow before closing my eyes and drifting off to sleep.