2

Jesse's Point Of View

Today was the day I was moving to Korea to live with my best friend Ellie, I have waited for this day to arrive for months since booking my tickets to fly over. I'm so excited to move over there not because I can finally get away from my parents who don't understand why I want to move to Korea in the first place or why I want to pursue a career in dance.

My parents didn't understand why I wanted to live in Korea when I could stay here in the UK and pursue my dancing career here, I knew my parents would try to persuade me that dancing for a career was a big waste of time and I should be using my time more efficiently to become a doctor, nurse or a lawyer.

I wanted to dance, I wanted to live in Korea. I was going to pursue my dreams even if it meant living miles away from my family and friends, living in a new country and learning Korean- luckily for me, I knew a little from when I visited Ellie for a month ages ago. I was happy to be leaving despite moving so far away and the flight would be very long, I could move away from my past and all the bad memories that were created here and still ran through my mind.

Suitcases were packed and by the door even my hand luggage, my boxes would be sent over after I arrived in Korea. I walked into the kitchen to see my father leaning against the counter with a cup of green tea in his hands as soon as I walked in, he spoke up," so today's the day you've been waiting for"

" Yeah," I say as I walked over to the fridge, opened it looking for a protein shake, I opened it up and took a sip as soon as it was in my hands.  "Todays the day you'll be finally rid of your daughter, I hope you're happy," I say afterwards.

"Of course, I'm not happy Jesse you're going to live in Korea that is so far from home and anything could happen to you and if it did it would take us ages to fly out to you." He said to me. "Nothing bad is going to happen dad and if it did I would have Ellie, besides her parents live not too far from where I'm going to be living with her," I say trying to reassure him whether it was working I don't know or did I care, nothing was stopping me from catching my flight today.

" I still don't get why you have to move all the way to Korea so you can dance, you can dance here," He said, I looked at my father to see him giving me a look of pure desperation. He and my mother had been working so hard to get me to stay but it wasn't working, I had made up my mind and I was following through with my plans and making a career out of a dance. 

" and like I've already told you and mum, I want to go to Korea and dance, it has one of the best schools there and besides I can finally get away from all the bad stuff that happened here. A fresh start even, surely I deserve that dad?" I say, he sighed " of course, you deserve to get away and forget what happened here but what sort of parent would I be if I didn't worry about you leaving or tried to convince you to stay? Jesse your my little girl and always will be, I always want to be able to protect you" My father said, I smiled at him.

" I know and I would never criticize or complain about how much you care about me but the thing is dad, I may be your little girl but I'm growing up and I want to live my life the way I want to, make mistakes and explore what's out there. Korea is going to be great for me to do that dad, besides someone once said to me, 'the world is a big place full of opportunities and things waiting to be explored' that's what I'm doing dad I'm going to explore and make new opportunities for me." I say happily, seeing him smile after quoting something he once said to me.

"It's true what I said to you a long time ago, I'm scared that what happened here will happen there and we won't be able to get to you in time." He said causing a frown to appear on my face from what he was referring to. " Dad, I was in a bad place then after what happened, I'm better now in a better headspace. I think this is what I need and I know I will be fine in Korea"  I say, taking a sip of my shake afterwards.