Chapter 8

"My friends, this is a historic unity day. Every year, we mark the moment our ancestors of the 12 stations joined to form the Ark but this is the last time we do so  while aboard her. Next year... on the ground." Jaha gave his unity day speech. Raven had set up a screen so that we could watch it too. 

"Right. After we did all the work. Shut this guy up." Miller said. I put a hand on his shoulder. He sent me a small smile. 

"You shut up ,Miller. No one's forcing you to watch." Raven told him. I rolled my eyes at her. 

"For 97 years, we have eked out an existence ,hoping that someday our descendants would return to earth." I sighed. Our descendants don't need to return to the ground. They'll be born here. 

"Whoo! Yeah! Monty strikes again!" Jasper comes out of his and Monty's tent with a large container in his hands. He had his goggles on and the container was steaming. "Hey! Hey! Call this batch 'Unity Juice'! Who's thirsty?!" Jasper called. 

The delinquents cheered and went to get a drink. I watched as Octavia slipped out ,probably to go see Lincoln. 

***

I was standing with Bellamy. He was choosing not to drink so he could watch over the delinquents. I can't drink so I decided to stay with the sober one. Clarke ,who seemed to be sober as well, walked over to us. 

"Hey, the comms are still dead. They cut out during the pageant." Clarke said. 

"Best unity day ever." Bellamy said eating a ration of nuts ,not jobi nuts ,which is what Octavia told me were the hallucinogenic nuts.  Clarke laughed lightly at his remark. 

"Do you really think now's a good time to be having a party? I mean, the grounder is out there-" 

"Grounders. By now, he's made it home. He's probably putting together a lynch mob. Relax. I got security covered. Why don't you get a drink? You look like you could use one." Bellamy said. 

"I could use more than one." Clarke said. 

"Than have more than one. Drink enough for me too." I told her with a smile. She laughed lightly. 

"Clarke, the exodus ship carrying your mother is coming down here in two days. After that, the party's over. Have some fun while you still can." Bellamy told her. 

"You deserve it." I added on. 

"Yeah. Okay." She turned and went to get a drink.  She turned back to look at Bellamy. "So do you. By the way." 

"I'll have my fun when the grounders come. Besides, this one," He pointed at me." doesn't think it's fair that I'm able to drink and she's not." 

"It's not fair." I told him. Clarke laughed at us and walked away. 

***

Finn walked up to me as I was sitting by the fire. I was drawing random patterns in dirt. 

"Hey." He said standing by me. 

"Hey?" I said in a questioning tone. He hasn't really talked to me lately ,probably too caught up in his own problems. 

"I need you to come with me but I can't tell you why." Finn said. 

"'Cause that doesn't sound creepy at all." I said sarcastically. He gave me a look. "I'm not going anywhere with you if you don't tell me why."

He sighed. "Geez, you're so much like Clarke." He mumbled. 

"I'll take that as a compliment. She's cool." I said. 

"I set up a meeting with the grounders." Finn said.