Just A Dream

"Call me whenever you can, promise?"

"I promise," Keefe said with a slight laugh.

Sophie kissed him on the cheek, then wrapped her arms around him, not wanting to ever let him go. She felt tears in the corner of her eyes, and they began to fall.

Keefe pulled back and put his hands gently on her cheeks, wiping the tears away with his thumbs.

"And p-promise me you'll s-stay safe," Sophie said.

Keefe gave her a kiss, resting his forehead on hers. "I promise, Sophie. And just think, when I come back, we're going to get married," he said, trying to distract her and make her feel better. "We'll have the best wedding ever, and it will be amazing. Got it?"

Sophie nodded, and he kissed her again, giving his fiancée one more hug before raising his special leaping crystal into the air.

"I love you," Keefe said.

Sophie wiped her face, and said, "I love you, too."

Keefe gave her a smile, and with a bright flash of light, he leaped away.

*Three weeks later*

Knock, knock, knock.

Sophie was confused when she heard the knocks on the front door. She looked down at the book she was reading, put a bookmark in her spot, and stood. Her heart was beating fast as she walked to the door, a million thoughts going through her head, good and bad. Her hand hovered over the doorknob, then she slowly turned it, opening the door.

A man stood in front of her, hands clasped over his navel, a sincere look on his face.

"Miss Foster," the man said.

"What's going on?" she asked, a hand on the doorframe to steady herself.

"I'm afraid I have some bad news," said the man.

Sophie's eyes widened and her mouth opened in slight shock. "W-what is the news?"

The man took a deep breath before speaking. "This morning, your fiancé, one of our top emissaries Keefe Sencen, was murdered, the killer unknown. I am deeply sorry for your loss."

It was as if time stopped. Sophie's mouth was open in shock, and tears streamed down her face, silently. She closed her eyes tightly, and she choked out a sob, putting her head in her hands.

The man hesitated, then said, "I will leave now, as I know this is highly personal." The man looked at her with a pitying look, then leaped away.

Sophie sunk to her knees, her head down, sobbing.

*
Baby, why'd you leave me, why'd you have to go?
I was counting on forever, now I'll never know.

I can't even breathe.
It's like I'm looking from a distance,
standing in the background.
Everybody's saying, he's not coming home now.

This can't be happening to me.
This is just a dream . . .

*

The planting was held on the day they were set to get married. Sophie wore a long green dress, far too beautiful for what was happening in her opinion. She watched as Keefe's seed was planted in the ground, her face tear-stained and red. Grady had one arm around her shoulders, while Edaline had an arm around her waist.

Everyone watched in silence as the seed started to sprout up, growing a small, little tree. The bark was light, tan almost, resembling Keefe's bright blond hair. The leaves were a similar color, curled slightly, with ice blue flowers mixed in. Sophie silently cried when she saw the flowers were nearly the exact same color as his eyes. One flower came off the tree, picked up by the breeze. It seemed to twirl like a dancer in the air, then land in front of Sophie. She bent down and picked it up, cradling it in her green-gloved hands.

"Please tell me this is just a dream," she whispered, a tear rolling down her cheek.

"I'm afraid it's real," Edaline said quietly, pulling her daughter close, hugging her fully. Grady joined in, holding both of them tightly.

Sophie hadn't returned the embraces. She looked down at the little blue flower, then held her hands out, letting the breeze carry it away.

*
I've been wanting to do some more angsty things and to be honest, this made me sad, but I'm kind of proud of it. Lyrics used are "Just A Dream" by Carrie Underwood, which served as inspiration for this oneshot.

Q. What's your favorite subject in school?

A. I love history, and I'm a huge history nerd. However, English comes in second.

Enjoy, ~Kirs.