The Kiss

Keefe Sencen paced around the small space, chewing his lip as his heart pounded with nervousness.

He's received a note hours earlier at lunchtime, sitting at his usual lunch table at Foxfire. He didn't really know how it got there, nor who left it there, but he had a good guess as to who it was from, as he'd recognized the handwriting of his crush Sophie Foster almost immediately.

It felt like a dream when he'd first read the note. It had given him a location, and what time to meet, along with the classic "can't wait to see you there!", all of which caused his mind to spin and his heart to race.

Finally, the door to the empty classroom opened, and in walked Sophie Foster. Her shoulder-length blonde hair swung a bit as she made her way to Keefe, who smiled wide and tried to keep his cool. "Sup, Foster."

"Hi, Keefe..." She returned the smile with a small one of her own, and she looked up at him with her wide, unique brown eyes.

"So, What did you want to talk about—?" As soon as the words left Keefe's mouth, Sophie leaned forward and kissed him. Her arms were around Keefe's waist, keeping him close to her, and her kiss was soft. It wasn't until Keefe started to kiss back that the elixir started to wear off.

Keefe's hands, which had rested on her hips, were now resting on wider, more masculine ones instead. He could smell a hint of Elvin cologne, and taste sweet berry lip balm. When he pulled back, he was shocked to find himself staring into Fitz's bright teal eyes.

"Fitz? I—What?!" Keefe spluttered.

Cursing, Fitz stepped back and away from Keefe, now leaning against the wall. "I'm sorry...I just wanted to try...I thought it would help me figure out...you weren't supposed to know...I'm an idiot."

Keefe didn't respond. He raised a hand to his lips, which still felt a bit tingly from his kiss with...Fitz. It was hard to even wrap his mind around that. They'd been best friends for the longest time, and never before had he considered kissing or liking Fitz romantically, let alone any boy for that matter. So why did he like it, enjoy it, and, in a way, want more? He was straight...wasn't he?

"I need to go," Keefe said quickly. He raised his leaping crystal to the light, then leaped to the first place he could think of, one he was given permission to go to anytime he wanted.

Calla's tree.

He sat under the magnificent plant now, taking a few deep breaths and staring at the ground.

He knew that in the Elvin community, liking and being with someone of the same gender isn't bad or wrong, as long as you're not a Bad Match talent-wise. Even one of the questions on the Matchmaking packet asked for your orientation and preferences when looking for a Match.

But Keefe had never really considered himself anything but straight. He'd only ever had crushes on girls, and even now, his crush on Sophie Foster was still very prominent. But now, he realized that perhaps the signs were there, he'd just chosen to ignore and deny them.  And maybe...Fitz had been doing the same, which must have been why he had tricked Keefe in the first place to get that kiss. And the thing was...Keefe wasn't disgusted by the kiss, not at all. In fact...he wouldn't mind kissing another boy either.

Two hours soon passed as Keefe was left with his own thoughts, and all was rather quiet. Until...

"Keefe...?"

Turning his head, the blond boy leapt to his feet, startled to find the real Sophie Foster staring at him with a look of concern. She'd come out here to relax and get away for a while, but then she'd saw how Keefe looked. "What's wrong?"

"I...can we talk?" Now, Keefe's heart was pounding for another reason. He wanted to tell Sophie of his crush on her, but also about his recent discovery of his sexuality.

"Yeah, of course."

The two elves sat underneath the tree, turned towards each other. Keefe has his head tilted downwards, chewing his lip nervously. "I have something to tell you...well, two things actually. Number one is...I have a crush on you."

Sophie sucked in her breath as the words left his mouth. "...Oh."

"Second thing...I believe I'm bisexual."

Keefe fidgeted with his hands, and was slightly surprised when he felt Sophie's hand on his chin, tilting his head upwards so he was looking at her. She smiled at him, comfortingly. This soft look caused words to spill out from Keefe, explaining everything that happened between Fitz when he was tricked, and how he enjoyed the kiss, even after he learned it was Fitz. The whole time, Sophie held his hand and nodded along. She assured him he had nothing to worry about, that of course she would accept him. Finally, the sun started to set, and Keefe's head was now resting on Sophie's lap, her fingers absentmindedly running through it.

"I thought you should know something..." Sophie said softly, causing Keefe to open his eyes and look up at her.

"Yes?"

"I...I like you too, Keefe. I don't mind that you like both boys and girls. I've always liked you in some way, and your personality, and your sexuality won't change that. It's just another part of you for me to like."

A smile slowly spread across Keefe's face. He felt...amazing. Not only did Sophie accept him and this new thing, but she liked him too! And later, of course, he'd have to talk to Fitz about all of this, and learn more about why he'd been tricked. But for now, be sighed contently, closing his eyes again and relaxing under Sophie's soft touch as she continued to run her fingers through his hair. He was very happy to be in love with someone who would accept him for who he is.

*

Guess who's been wanting to write something LGBTQ+ related for the Keeper fandom? This non-binary fan!

For those of you who don't know, I'm almost always writing with non-straight couples, and I wanted to give y'all a taste of that here. Honestly, I hardly read anything with a straight couple anymore.

Anyways, love you all!

~Jem