Chapter Two

“Hi honey.” I'm speechless. I have no idea what to say. What I want to do is just jump into her arms and let her hold me like she use to do when I was young. I want her to kiss my bruise, which is too large to touch. “What's wrong? Are you still shaken up? I bet you are.”

“Yeah, that's it. The nurse says I should get some rest.” I just saved myself with a lie, or a passed due statement.

“Well, I'll let you get some rest then. I'm going to go to that restaurant down the street. Would you like me to bring you something?”

“I already ate.”

“Oh, well I'll see you later then.” She walks out of the room, leaving the door ajared.

Something weird was going on with mom. She was acting too calm. Any other mother would have been worried sick about their child. Plus, she's my mom, and I know her very well. Maybe I'm not seeing things correctly. That might not have been my mom. I'm really confused right now. I think a nap would do me some justice.

As I drifted off to sleep I was immediately thrown into a nightmare. I see his face screaming over me.

“You like that?” I moan. “Huh? What did you say you little punk?” He moves his head a bit , the sun beaming past him, frying my eye. I try to mumble something but my words seem to have performed a disappearance act as he pounced on my gut as if it were a trampoline. I could feel blood on my face. I wasn't too worried about that though. I was more worried about how bad I was bleeding internally.

I see a teacher running out of the school building, screaming his name, “Daniel! Daniel! I order you to stop."

Daniel didn't stop. She was so far away; I guess he assumed he'd get some last minute punches in before she would reach us. I was going in and out of consciousness.

As the teacher gets closer, I realize it was Ms. Hartz. She is my favorite teacher, the hardest, but I really like her. I've been having a crush on her every since I started high school. Even though I have a pretty good grade in her class, I attend her tutoring sessions every week. “Daniel!” I grasp my stomach. The pain seems to thrust through my stomach leaving me paralyzed. Everything after that was a blur. I suppose I switched dreams or something. My new dream was much more peaceful. There was no violence, but there also wasn't a pretty teacher. The new dream was really awkward though. I was in a funeral home, surrounded by people I didn't know. Sitting there in the second row, I spot this lady who looks unlike anyone else. I'm unsure what drew me to her. She was garbed in black like everyone else. She wasn't doing anything. She just sat there, cradling her purse-- her face covered by a net coming from her hat. Her hat reminds me of a pirate. It had a colorful feather on it.

Suddenly, the room seems to shift, everyone has been introduced to new seats. I'm sitting next to her. “Hello Chase.” She is talking to me. How does she even know my name? Who is she? “So you're not going to talk to me, eh?”

“I'm sorry, I just don't know you.”

“Oh really? Well I guess you don't need to know me then.” She takes off her hat, smiles and then she just disappears. I look around, but she was gone.

“What's wrong? Bet you're still confused at what's going to happen to you. Go look in the coffin, say your goodbyes.” Somehow I found myself in front of the closed coffin. It was the color of the darkest pupil. Shivers ran down my spine as I touched the coffin, attempting to reveal that victim whose soul is no longer on this Earth. Electricity shocks me and a figure walks behind the coffin. It's a man; I don't know who he is. He's transparent-like. This is definitely the freakiest dream I've ever had. His eyes pierce mine then there is a light; I'm not fond of seeing bright lights. The dream is over.