Chapter Twenty-Two

The police officer cuffed me and escorted me out of the hospital room. Outside, there is another officer. Nurses and other patients watch as the officers lead me to the elevators. The doors open and we walk into the elevator. As we wait for the elevator doors to close, I see Leslie run out of her hospital room. She screams out my name and runs to the elevator. As she comes near, the elevator doors close. I hear her beating. We go down to the next floor. The doors open, but the guests are told to wait for the next elevator.

We reach the main floor and Leslie is already there. She's balling and tries to talk to the cops as we walk out of the building.

“What's going on officer! Why are you taking him?” she says through her tears. They ignore her.

“I'm sorry.” I mouth as they put me in the back of the cop car. The officers drive off. I look out the window. Leslie's on her knees crying and screaming. A nurse is trying to help her off the ground.

I guess this is it—I'm headed to jail. I'm seventeen years old and I'm being charged with first degree murder, attempted murder, aggravated assault, grand theft, possession of drugs, possession of drug paraphernalia, and burglary; it's a pretty lengthy list. I've changed over the last few weeks.

We arrive at the police station where they book me and place me in a holding cell. I sit there for hours, watching people get hoarded in constantly. A while later a male police officer comes to my cell. As he unlocks the cell and speaks to me.

“Sorry for the hold up. We're really backed up tonight. It's time for your phone call. Hold out your hands, I'm going to cuff you for security purposes.” I hold out my hands and he cuffs me.  The metal of the cuffs is cold against my wrist.  “Beside the phone there will be a list that could help you on who to contact.”

He escorts me to the phone. There's a list of lawyers and bondsmen. I don't know who to call. I don't have money for a real lawyer and I'm sure they won't be letting me out on a bond; not that anyone would want to pay for me anyway. I call the only person I have.

“Hello? Boss.” I say into the phone.

“Ah, yes Chase. I knew you would be calling.” he says in a delightful voice.

“You already knew I got arrested?” I ask.

“Well of course. It was my doing after all.” he says in a calm voice.

“What?” I nearly yell. “You're the reason I'm in jail?”

“I wouldn't get too riled up if I were you, Chase. I have guys everywhere. But, calm down; this is all apart of my plan.”

“Your plan? What plan? Why wasn't I let into this plan?”

“It just came to me. But it's okay because you will enjoy the outcome. You will no longer suffer.”

“I don't want to go to jail.”

“You won't go to jail, I promise.”

“How do you know?” I ask.

“I have friends in high places. Now tell me, the cop that is monitoring you. Say yes if he is a Hispanic.”

“What? Why?” I ask.

“Just reply yes or no.” I look over at the cop. He's keeping a hard eye on me.

“Yes.”

“Ah. Does his name tag read Alvarez?” I look at him from the corner of my eye.

“Yes.” I say.

“Ah, I know this man. He's been trying to get under my wing in the system for a while. He can help you out, and I'll give him a chance. Hand him the phone.” I motion for the man to come to the phone. Boss says some things to the man. While they're talking the man eyes me every few seconds. When they're done, he hands the phone back to me. “Okay Chase, Mr. Alvarez will take care of you. I've arranged for you to have a trial in 2 days. The judge is my friend so he's skipped a few steps to get you into court in a few days. Don't worry. But I have to go now. Goodbye.”

I hang up the phone and look at the cop.

“Are you done with the phone?” he asks, folding his hands in front of his body.

“You said I only had one phone call.” I reply. He clears his throat.

“Are you done with the phone?” he repeats.

“Oh!” I finally catch on. “Yeah, I'm good. Thanks”

He smiles, and escorts me back to my cell. He closes the gate and looks at me.

“You've gotten yourself in a big mess, kid.” I look at up at him; he's right.

“Yeah, I know.”

“It'll be okay. You want something to eat? I'm going to lunch. I can get you a burger if you want.”

“That would be great, thanks.”

“Alright, I'll be back soon.”

My day and a half in the holding cell aren't that bad. Officer Alvarez, whose name is Mario, takes good care of me. When he's not busy he comes and talks to me. He buys me food and lets me talk to Leslie on the phone. Leslie's still in the hospital, but she says she'll make my court date tomorrow. Being in here has allowed me to sort of clear my mind. I don't really think about the things that happened in the pass; I just focus on the brighter future ahead of me; I just have to get through the judge. In the back of my mind, I'm nervous even though Boss says the judge won't really go down hard on me. I guess I have no choice but to wait until morning.