Chapter Twelve

She comes over to where Jay and I are in the living room and smiles. She looks towards the kitchen.

“Oh my, is that breakfast I smell?” Jay smiles.

“Yep, help yourself.” She nods and walks into the kitchen. When she's out of ear's reach I shoot Jay a look.”

“She could have heard you!” I say in a low, stern voice. Jay laughs a bit.

“You think you can hide this forever? She'll find out eventually.” I just stare at him and then break the trance. He's right. I can't hide this forever; but I can't tell her now. Mom emerges from the kitchen with a plate of food. She's scarfing down the food like she's never eaten before. Jay looks at her and smiles. She smiles back, holding a piece of bacon.

“I think we should all go have some fun! Maybe do a little shopping or go to beach?”

“I'm not interested.” Jay says.

“Neither am I. We still have to talk about Murv.”

“Oh that's right! That is what we came here for.”  Mom says with her mouth full.

“You and Leslie are welcome to go. There's a great strip mall not too far from here.” Jay says, sitting on the arm of the couch next to me.

“That sounds like a great idea.” She puts her plate up in the kitchen and heads for the stairs. “I'll go get Leslie now.”

It takes a while for Mom and Leslie to come downstairs. Leslie looks a lot better than this morning. Jay gives Mom the directions to the shopping mall and they leave.

“So what are your plans Chase?” Jay says, locking the front door.

“I don't really have plans. I was just going to hide out; going place to place. Staying in one placefor a long period of time isn't really so smart.”

“Why did you kill the guy?” I don't really want to tell him the reason because it's pretty pathetic.

“I was tired.” I started...

“Tired of what?”

“The bullying. There's just a lot going on in my life and I couldn't handle it anymore. He picked a fight with me and I ended it for good.” Jay stared at me for a moment with understanding.

“I'll help you out. Anything that you need, I'll help you out.” I look at him to gain reassurance.

“Thank you.”

“Well I have some business to take care of,” Jay says getting his keys off the table, “You'll be okay here by yourself, right?”

“Yeah.”

“Alright.” He goes out the door and walks to the garage. I follow, standing in the doorway. Moments later the garage door opens and a silver Lamborghini backs out. Jay stops the car, puts on his sunglasses and shows a cocky smile and continues to back out of the driveway. When he reaches the road he speeds down the street. I walk back into the house and lock the door. Someone else knows my secret.

I walk upstairs to my room and grab my MP3 player out of my bag and put my earphones in. I close my eyes while listening to the music. It clears my head a little. Sometime while listening the music I dosed off. I was awaken by a vibrating from my bag at the end of the bed—it was my cell phone. I lean over to where the bag is and search for my cell phone. When I finally find it, it stops vibrating. Three missed calls. As I try and check the missed calls the phone begins vibrating again. I answer.

“Hello?” I say. There's static in the background. Someone is on the other end, but they're not saying anything. I try again. “Hello?”

The phone hangs up. I go to the recent calls on my phone, but the number is blocked. All of the numbers were blocked. Who could they have been. Then the doorbell rings. I run downstairs and take a peek out of the window and see that it's Leslie and Mom. I open the door.