Chapter Twenty-One

I drive right outside of town and grab a motel for the night. The owner was nice enough to give me a change a clothes and washed the ones I was wearing for free. I clean myself and try to get some sleep. Just when I was dozing off, my phone rings. I don't recognize the number. I ignore the call and flip back over to get some rest.

The next morning I wake up and go to the vending machine for some breakfast. I watch some TV before it's time to check out and be on my way. Clicking through the channels the news catches my eyes. The news reporter is talking about the incident last night. They don't include many details because the police haven't released any information. I guess it's a good thing that my picture isn't on the news; maybe they're not looking for me.

I turn the TV off and pack up the few things that I have. Grabbing my phone I see that I have 5 missed calls—all are from that number from last night. As I go to delete the missed call notifications, the number calls again. This time, I answer.

“Hello?”

“Chase?” a voice whispers. It's a girl on the other line.

“Who is this?”

“Oh, Chase. I'm so glad to hear your voice. It's Leslie. Where are you?”  she sounds relieved.

“I'm right outside of town, in a motel.”

“Why are you there?” she asks, sounding concerned.

“I'm running like always do.” I sigh.

“You're leaving me?” I'm silent for a bit. I can't leave Leslie, but I can't keep having her involved. “Chase?”

“I'm sorry Leslie. You've already been hurt. You don't deserve this.”

“Okay. Well would you please come see me? I'd like to see you one last time. It's not that far from where you are now, I believe. Here, I'll let the nurse tell you how to get here.”

The nurse tells me directions to the hospital. I check out of the motel room and head there. When I park the car I walk up to the desk and ask for Leslie. She tells me her room is upstairs. I go to the elevator and walk to her room. I open the door. Leslie is in the bed and a nurse is setting up her IV. Leslie smiles and the nurse looks at me.

“I'm sorry, but I'm going to need you to come back during visiting hours. It's lunch time.” the nurse says, stepping in front of me.

“Well, Leslie really wanted to se--”

“I said, come back during visiting hours.” she looks at me with a serious expression. “Will I have to ca--”

“He's the father.” Leslie interrupts. The nurse's expression lightens and she places her hand on my arm.

“I'm sorry.” she says and walks out of the room, leaving the door cracked. I look at Leslie.

“What was that all about?” I ask.

“I'm not sure.” Leslie says with a faint smile.

“I'm the father now?” I laugh. Leslie doesn't say anything. I walk over and sit beside her bed. She looks at me. It looks like she's about to cry. “What's wrong?”

“Chase, I lost the baby.” shivers cover my body and a tear drops from my eye.

“I-I'm sorry.” she nods a bit and begins to sob. I reach over and hold her in my arms. I rub her back and kiss her forehead. We sit there in silence. After a while, Leslie dozes off. I rest my eyes as well but then there is a knock at the door.

“Are you Chase Robinson?” it's a large man dressed wearing a security guard uniform.

“I'm sorry sir. I just really needed to see her. I explain to the nurse and sh--”

“Chase Robinson, you are under arrest.” he says. This was no security guard. This was a police officer.