Chapter Seven

The hospital isn't too much further away. Along the way Leslie and I decide to play 20 questions. I ask silly questions like 'What's your ideal planet' and 'How's the weather'. She answers with 'A place where the sky is purple and there are two sunsets' and 'As good as a strawberry freeze pop in the summertime'. Her questions were a little more personal. What's my deepest fear in life? My dad coming back. Do I regret anything? Yes, many things. Like what? Too many to say. Give some examples. I regret not telling the person I love, that I love her.

Leslie seemed to quiet down a bit. She stared out the window the rest of the drive.

When we reached the hospital we got out of the car. We tried waking Mom, but she was out cold. I made sure to park the car under a tree with plenty of shade so she wouldn’t get over heated. We went into the hospital.

This hospital was different from the one I was in. It's more modern. The front lobby is open and bright. The receptionist’s desk even had dark granite surfaces. Everyone there was young. The doctor's and the nurses were running around all over the place. All of them seemed to be in a hurry. All of them seemed nice. Smiles from them all 'Hello', 'Hi, how are you?', 'Excuse me, I'm sorry'. I walk up to the front desk. There was an Asian lady sitting there. She looked to about twenty-five.

“May I help you.”

“I'm here to see Murv.”

“Just Murv?” Oh right, his name isn't Murv.

“Murvin...his name is Murvin”

“Last name please.”

“It's....Murvin...Murvin um, Jones.  I'm sorry, I'm just a little nervous.  I had a long drive”

“Okay. Is he expecting you?”

“Well no, but-”

“Upon request he is not accepting any visitors.”

“Really?”

“Yes, so I can't let you see him.” I have to see him. She must be able to do something. I came all this way for Murv.

“I have to see him, I-”

“Sorry, you cannot.”

“I'm his son. The only reason why he doesn't want visitors is because he may pass away.”

“Well, if that's his last wish, we must obey.  Now sir I'm going to have to ask you to leave, I have-”

“Could you just ask him for me, please. Just ask if he'd like to see his son, Chase. Make sure to say Chase because my brothers...they aren't on good terms with my father. They treat him badly and I don't.”

“Okay, okay. I'll ask. One minute.” She goes through a pair of double doors.

“Chase?” It's Leslie. “Is he really your father?” In a way I wish he were. I wish my real father was lying in a hospital bed half way dead. I'd feel a heck of a lot better.

“No, he's not.”

“Oh, I didn't think so.”

“ Yeah, I had said he was just a friend.” The nurse reappeared through the double doors.

“Come on back.” She escorts us to Murv's room. Room 113. “Here you are.” She opens the door a bit and walks away. I push the door open. There is a flat screen TV on the wall and it's on.

“Well come on in! Stop wasting your precious time.” It's Murv and he sounds pretty good. We walk further into the room. It's like a mini hallway. On the left there's a door to the bathroom. I peek in. The room's pretty nice. The bathroom and technology are extremely modern. There is new tile on the floors and the paint looks fresh. Murv's walls are painted a crimson red with white crown molding and trim going around the room.