Chapter Four

“Good morning Murvin! Ready for your treatments?”

“Of course I am!”

“Oh my! You are in a great mood today.” She smiles.

“What can I say? I've had a breakthrough.” I opened my eyes and see the nurse getting reading to wheel Murv out of the room. All of that thinking last night must have drained all of my energy. I hate arguing with people mostly because I never win.

“Kid...kid!”

“Oh hey.” It was Murv, “I thought you went to go get treatments?”

“Yeah, but there is a backup so they decided I could wait. I guess they think I'm either gonna die sooner or later anyway. But I was thinking kid...”

“About what?”

“Your escape, duh!”

“Well I had some plans in mind actually.”

“What were they?”

“Skip town, stay here, or put myself in a mental hospital and if they come for me say I'm crazy.” Murv sat there and look at me if I was about ten kinds of crazy. I pretty much just busted myself.

“So you really killed 'em, eh?” Or maybe I've already confessed to him?

“What do you mean?”

“You know exactly what I mean. You done killed somebody.”

“What makes you think that?” I act all shocked at his assumptions, but I'm pretty sure he knows everything.

“What makes you think I'm stupid? Remember the night you were talking in your sleep? You weren't screaming for your mother! You were screaming bloody murder, kid. It was so loud I bet all the nurses heard 'ya. They may not have questioned 'ya because they're working with the FBI. The fuzz is getting all the info they need to prosecute 'ya.” Murv was really scaring me and it must have shown because he said, “Kid, I'm just foolin' with 'ya. Don't get your britches rounded up”

So maybe Murv did just make the story of me crying bloody murder when I was asleep. I don't really know but I don't know him that well so I can't really tell if he's lying or not. All I know now is that I need to figure out a plan to get through all of this-- and I need to do it fast.

“How about we watch some TV and maybe that will give us some ideas about how to escape your death sentence.” Murv chuckles and goes to his bed.

There's a knock at the door and in comes a nurse. She's wearing light burgundy lipstick and has long wavy hair. She's really short and extremely gorgeous. She's definitely the youngest and cutest nurse I've had so far.

“Hey there Chase! I heard that you were up here. What happened to you?” She knows my name? How could she know me but I don't know her? I'm speechless. “Chase Robinson...hello?” She waves her hands in front of my eyes.

“Hello” I say.

“How are you doing?” She asked cheerfully.

“I'm fine.”

“That's great.”

“Um, yeah. I guess so.”

“Why are you acting like you don't know me? You do remember me right?”

“I'm sorry, but I don't know you.” She looked a little shocked when I said this. Her mouth was partially open and she just had a frozen, confused look on her face. But then she smiled.

“Maybe you just hit your head really hard or something. Look at me. Take a really good look.” Well, I took a look; a really good look and she looked good. Then I look at her facial features. Without makeup I think I would have known her. She reminded me of someone...my old best friend, Katie. She couldn't have been Katie because Katie is my age and couldn't have become a nurse so quickly. Also, Katie moved away three years ago to live with her father after her parents divorced. She left behind her older sister Miranda who I never really knew.

“You remind me of my friend Katie, but she's gone now. I miss her a lot.”

See, you do remember me.”

“What?”

“I'm Miranda. You know, Katie's sister.” She giggled.

So this is Miranda. The nerdy emo girl who would blast music and keep herself hidden in her room? Wow. Her room must have been a cocoon and she's now a butterfly. Katie was never really attractive to me. Maybe her sister got all the looks. I have no idea why I think Miranda is so beautiful, but I can't help it.

“You are the most-” I can't say that to her. That's just rude.

“I'm what?”

“The most um, I'm just really glad to see you is all.”

“Ah, okay well, the pediatric therapists are having art therapy downstairs. If you'd like, you can come. They have ice cream.” She smiles. I can't accept the offer. I have to think about my next move.

“I'm sorry but I still feel a bit tired. I want to take a nap.”

“Aw, you're such a party pooper!”

“I'm sorry.” She smiles. “I see why my sister enjoyed your company. You're a really sweet and polite guy.”

“Well, I'll see you later.”

“Yep! Maybe after your nap we can go take a walk in the courtyard.”

“Um, yes that would be nice.”

“Okay.” she starts leaving out of the door.

“Wait!” she peeks her in.

“Yes?”

“When do you think I'm going to get out of here?”

“Well,” she looks at my chart. “Looks like you're scheduled to be discharged at three o'clock tomorrow afternoon.”

“Oh okay.”

“Yep. Are you sure you don't want any ice cream?” I really do.

“No, thank you.”

“Okay, last chance.” I laugh a bit and I shake my head. She leaves.

“So you know Miranda?” Murv says. I almost forgot he was in the room. I bet he got the kicks out of our conversation. I always get nervous around pretty girls because none really talk to me.

“She's a really nice girl.”

“You've been here a long time right Murv?”

“Yes. In and out, yes.”

“When did Miranda start working here?”

“About two years ago. I remember at first she was a horrible nurse but I decided to put up with her because she was extremely nice. Usually, I do away with the ones I don't like.”

“So do you know how old she is?”

“She's at least twenty-four, but she could be older. Why do you ask?” I'm not really sure why I asked but if she's truly twenty-four, it'll never happen. I should just give up now.

“I was just wondering. I wanted to see how many years older she was compared to her sister.”

“Sure.” He didn't sound convinced by my reasoning.

“What? You don't believe me?”

“Of course not. You have lies and I have lies. But right now, she shouldn't be one of your lies. She is not the one.” Murv turned over for a nap. It always seems as though when Murv makes a breakthrough he takes a nap. I guess his greatness takes a lot of energy. I mean, he is really, really old. I wonder how old Murv really is. He said he had no family. No kids. No wife. His parents are most likely dead. All of these questions, I really want to ask him. I guess I'll rest up as well and see later.