Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Holden

       "I still can't believe one of my sons is getting married," Dad said while I was doing up the tie around my neck. "And to Shaw of all people."

       I furrowed my eyebrows and looked at him. "Was that an insult?"

       Dad chuckled. "No, of course it wasn't. It's just, honestly, a bit weird since I've known him since he was a baby. I never thought he would get married to one of my children. But I know he'll treat you right."

       Mom, who was sitting on the couch in my parents' living room, snorted. "Okay."

       I rolled my eyes and ignored Mom. She still wasn't okay with me and Shaw getting married, but at least she was letting the wedding happen instead of trying to stop it or talk me out of it.

       "Mom, you can at least pretend to be happy for Holden," Josh said. "And I really don't think Shaw will hurt him, or anyone, considering he was willing to go to prison in place of Julian. If he was willing to do that, just think of what he'll be willing to do for Holden, whom Shaw loves."

       "Don't bother," I said. "She doesn't know how to even pretend to be happy for me."

       "I can't pretend to be happy because I'm worried for you, Holden," Mom said. "You were at boarding school during the majority of Shaw's darkness. You didn't see everything, and you still don't know everything he has done."

       "Well, if everyone forgave him, then surely it's not too bad," I said. "You don't have anything to worry about. He'll never hurt me."

       "You can never be too sure about that with Shaw," Mom said.

       "What does that mean?" I asked.

       "Tara, don't," Dad said.

       "Wait, no, what's she talking about?" I asked. 

       "Nothing, it's none of our business," Dad said.

       "It is my business," I said. "Shaw is going to be my husband in a matter of hours. I think I should know exactly what's making Mom so hesitant to accept it."

       Even though Dad was giving Mom a look that told her not to say anything, she still stood up from the couch and walked over to me. "He had a history of domestic violence," Mom said. "He used to hurt Kendra."

       That wasn't the answer I was expecting. I thought it was going to be something that had to do with his past addictions.

       Not hurting the girl he was in a relationship and had three kids with.

       "Are... are you serious?" I asked. "Or is it just a rouse so I won't want to marry Shaw?"

       "It's the truth," Mom said. "I'm sorry, but now you see why I'm reluctant to let you marry Shaw. He was violent in his past. Who's to say it won't come back?"

       "Mom, I know you're looking out for Holden, but that isn't who Shaw is anymore," Josh said. 

       "Wait," I said, looking at my older brother. "Did you know?"

       Josh sighed. "Yeah, I did."

       "And you didn't tell me?" I asked.

       "No, because it's in the past," Josh said. "I promise you, Shaw isn't violent anymore. Kendra forgave him because she knows he won't do it again. He was just misguided and hurt and stuck, and a lot of it had to do because his dad left him, his mom, and his sister."