Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Holden

       While I was in the kitchen in the morning getting something to eat, my head was starting to hurt a lot. I tried ignoring it, but it got up to the point where my vision got all blurry which caused me to stumble and drop the bowl of cereal I just prepared. The bowl shattered into dozens of pieces, spilling the milk and cereal onto the ground.

       I bent down to clean it up, but my vision was still blurry and I could barely see what was in front of me.

       "Holden, is everything okay?" Shaw suddenly asked me.

       "Yeah, I just accidentally dropped a bowl," I said, waiting for my vision to be clear again, but it just wasn't happening.

       I stood up, seeing the outline of the counter by me, so I walked over and gripped the edge of it, my eyes closed as I tried to get rid of the pounding in my head.

       Shaw walked over to me, placing his hand on my back. "Hey, what's going on?" he asked. "Are you okay?"

       "Yeah," I said. "I just have a really bad headache."

       "Do you want to get it checked out?" Shaw asked.

       "No, I'm fine," I said. "It just needs to pass."

       "Holden..."

       "I said I'm fine."

       "Alright," Shaw said, moving away from me, and shortly after I heard him cleaning up the mess I made.

       The pounding in my head subsided so I opened my eyes, only to notice that the blurriness in my vision was still there. It just wasn't as intense.

       When Shaw was finished cleaning up the mess, he stood beside me. "Has this happened before?" he asked.

       "Not really," I said.

       "What do you mean not really?" Shaw asked.

       "My head hurts from time to time and I get really dizzy, but it hasn't been this severe," I said. 

       "Have you gotten another head injury recently?" Shaw asked. "Maybe you accidentally hit your head or something. Even something small can be causing this because of your past injuries."

       "No, I don't think so," I said. "At least, I don't remember. Then again, my memory has never been the best because, you know, I can't stop getting injured."

       "Okay, well, I know you said you're fine, but I'm taking you to the hospital to get checked out anyway," Shaw said and before I could object, he continued. "Just to be on the safe side. It's better to go and know for sure that nothing's wrong instead of just assuming it."

       "Okay, fine," I said. "It's probably nothing."

       "Don't jinx it," Shaw said.

***

       Waiting for the results was pure torture. I just wanted to go home and rest, but the doctors preferred that I waited in the hospital for the results just in case there really was something. It would have been better to talk about treatment in person.

       I still didn't think anything was wrong. Yeah, my dizzy spells had been happening a lot more frequently than normal, but that's the thing. It was normal. It wasn't like I hadn't experienced them before. I had ever since the explosion at the city hall, but I was all cleared by the doctors.