Chapter Nine

***Kayleigh***

I sat on the edge of the bed staring mindlessly at the television as some athletes—whose names I didn't know, and honestly didn't care to know—bounced a little orange and black ball up and down and ran down the court trying to steal it from one another.

"Get the ball to Kobe!" Colby screamed at the t.v.

I rolled my eyes and rubbed my temples. My head was throbbing and Colby screaming every few minutes wasn't helping. I was worried about my friends and family—hoping that they would realize that the message I'd left had been a big lie and they'd come and get me. I was tired of limping around on my injured leg, I was tired of my sore arm and ultimately, I was tired of Colby. Sure, he'd been nice to me lately, but I still didn't trust him.

After he'd allowed me to call my parents, I'd kept my promise and forgiven him, but I'm not one of those people who believe in the saying: 'forgive and forget'. I don't think that's even possible. Suddenly, I felt an overwhelming sense of nausea. I clutched the little trash can that leaned against the bed.

"Again?" Colby asked actually paying attention to me for the first time. "That's like your fifth time throwing up this morning!  And you've lost your cookies everyday this week." Yeah, Mr. Obvious, like I didn't notice. When I finally finished I felt even worse.

"Here," He said handing me a glass of water and a mint.

"Thanks," I said my voice sounding hoarse because of my raw throat.

Colby placed his hand against my forehead.

"You're not running a fever." He said. "Do you have chills?"

"No," I shook my head. "I'm not sick."

"Well, something is wrong." He insisted.

"Maybe I'm allergic to something," I said.

"Maybe, but I doubt it." He said.

Honestly, I doubted that it was an allergy too, but what else could make me feel like this?

"Just get some rest." Colby said pulling back the covers on the bed. "Maybe it's a stomach virus or something."

***Beau***

I woke up the next morning to the sound of my phone ringing. I rubbed my eyes and reached over on the nightstand where I'd sat it.

"Hello," I answered groggily.

"Beau!" It was my mother's voice.

Suddenly it dawned on me that I'd left our hotel room without telling her.

"I'm sorry that I left without telling you....I was gonna come back, but then I came to Cassie and Aaron's house and...."

"Yes, we'll talk about that later." She interrupted. "I'm calling because Kayleigh called home late last night. They just got the message this morning."

"Oh my gosh!" I exclaimed. "Is she okay? Is she coming home?"

"They said that she's fine and she just went on a last minute vacation with Colby. There cancelling all of the search parties and everything."

"What?" I asked. "Why would they do that? What if she's lying?"

"Lying?" Gina asked. "Why would she do that?"

"I dunno, but if Colby's a psychopath like Nate thinks he is, maybe he forced her to lie." I said. "They should let me listen to that message."

"Honey, I know you're concerned about Kayleigh, but I'm sure her parents know her well enough to detect whether or not she's being truthful."