Chapter Ten

***Beau***

I banged on the door like a maniac as I stood on Kayleigh's best friend's doorstep.

"C'mon, open up." I whined.

After what felt like a lifetime, the door finally swung open to reveal Emma.

"Gosh, Beau," She said. "What're you trying to do? Break the door?"

I ignored her comment and stepped into the house without waiting for her invitation.

"We need to talk,"

"Okay..." She answered as a puzzled look appeared on her face.

"Kayleigh's missing—"

"What!" She exclaimed. "Since when?"

"A few days ago." I said. " She disappeared without a trace. But, this morning my mom said she called the Williams and told them that she'd gone on vacation with Colby—"

Emma shook her head.

"She's lying." Emma stated. "She wouldn't just up and leave without telling anyone."

"That's what I thought." I agreed. "But I just didn't know where Colby would take her."

Emma bit her lip as she thought for a moment.

"I remember once Colby said something about how his grandparents lived in a cabin before they died, but it's the summer, what idiot would go to a cabin in the summer?"

"An idiot who doesn't want anyone to find him." I replied. "Where is the cabin?"

"I'm not sure exactly, but I know he said it was in the woods about ten minutes from here."

"Alright then, let's go." I said.

Emma stared at me.

"What are you crazy? You can't just go off into the woods and start looking!"

"Why not?" I questioned.

"Because, you just...can't Beau! It could be dangerous."

"That's exactly why we SHOULD go." I exclaimed.

"I just think that we should leave this kind of thing to the police." She said.

"Did you not listen to anything that I've said? The police and everyone else believe that she's on vacation and they've given up on her!"

Emma sighed. "Fine,"

I smiled as she ran up the stairs.

"Ashlynn," She announced. "I'm going to go hang with Beau."

"Yeah, whatever." She called back. "But if mom and dad get mad, I'm not bailing you out."

Emma rolled her eyes as she came back down the stairs with her phone and jacket.

"Let's go."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

***Kayleigh***

I rummaged through the drawer until I finally found a large knife. The sound of Colby's car caused me to jump and I quickly hid the knife back into the drawer. I hadn't expected him to get back so quickly. I heard the sound of the door slam open and I looked up to see a furious Colby with a bag in his hand.

"Do you have any idea how much fucking embarrassment you just put me through?" He hollered at me.

I shivered slightly as he stormed towards me. I began to back away from him until I ran into the countertop. I felt the pointed corner dig into my back as he pressed his body against mine. I cowered in fear.