Chapter Twenty

Epilogue 

***Kayleigh***

I stared at the college-level french book in my hands as I tried to stifle a yawn. I'd worked hard to accelerate my high school work and now, I was focusing on getting my bachelor's degree. At first, I'd struggled with determining what to major in, but after visiting the local university and learning about the photography major, I was sold. Now, if I could only ditch the classes that didn't have anything to do with taking pictures, I'd be completely satisfied.

I felt my eyes begin to drift when I heard the sound of a faint cry. I sighed as I sat down my book and quietly walked over to the little bassinet that sat in the corner. I smiled down at the little blue bundle of joy.

"Hey there, little Ryland Williams." I cooed as I picked up my teeny, three month old, look-a-like. Fortunately, he looked nothing like his jerk of a father. He squirmed in my arms as he began to settle down. Of course, the doorbell rang, and he began to scream again.

"Oh, shh," I said as I bounced him in my arms while I walked towards the door.

I cautiously peeped through the curtains and I felt my eyes go wide from shock. I slowly opened the door and stared at the young man before me. He was dressed in a black leather jacket with a loose fitting t-shirt, that was accompanied by matching skinny jeans. My eyes slowly locked with the ones before me that held a smile.

He'd been gone for a year—twelve long months, and we'd only spoken eleven times. When he'd left, he had promised things would be different this go around, but of course, after we'd had such limited communication, I hadn't kept my hopes up.

After all, I knew that a lot had changed. I'd worried that maybe he'd met another girl who didn't have the burdens of an ugly past and a little baby boy to look after. A girl who was actually ready for a serious relationship. I'd told him that I wanted to hold off for awhile—not because I didn't love him, but because if I was being honest, I was scared.

Beau licked his lips out of habit as he stuffed his hands into his pockets, "Aren't you going to let me in?"

"Oh yeah," I said as I broke my stare and opened the door to my small home. It was actually a guest house that had been built in the large backyard of the family home, which allowed me to live near my parents, but still gave me a sense of privacy.

We stared at each other silently for a moment, before he broke the silence.

"So, is this my little guy?" He asked as we both sat down on the couch. He smiled slightly as his eyes fell on the baby who was still squirming in my arms. I nodded slowly without speaking as my brain was still trying to process all of what was happening.

"May I hold him?" He asked.

"Yeah, yeah of course." I finally spoke as I carefully placed my son into his awaiting arms.

"Hello Ryland," He spoke gently as he rocked him in his arms. The little baby stared up at him intently. He glimpsed at me and smiled. "He's looks just like you, Ky —beautiful."

I bit my lip as I blushed. "Thanks."

"No need to thank me, I'm only speaking the truth. Isn't that right?" He asked Ryland in a baby voice.

I smiled as I picked up my french book and began to try to study it, but I found myself watching as him tickle Ryland's stomach, which made them both laugh. As I observed, I made note of his features. He looked older, probably because of his shorter hair, increased height, and the diamond studs in his ears. He seemed different, yet the same somehow. I bit my lip as I forced myself to focus on my french lesson and interpret the sentence before me.

Premières amours sont toujours.

"Ky—"

"Beau—"

We both spoke in unison before chuckling.

I gestured for him to speak and he cleared his throat as he handed Ryland back to me. I watched as he began to pace the room. Back and forth. Back and forth. Until he finally stopped and sat on the floor before me.

"Ky," he bit his lip as he lifted his eyes to meet mine. "I know I didn't call much, but that's because I just—I, I, I love you. I love you, and there's nothing I can do about it. I know you don't want this to be anything serious right now and I respect that, but I just, I can't be near you and not want to hold you in my arms and kiss you senseless, yet at the same time, I can't stay away from you and not miss you like crazy. I literally thought about you 24/7 for the last 365 days. I'm in love with you, Kayleigh, so much that it hurts sometimes, and I just, I don't know what to do."

"Beau," I sighed. "I love you too. I do, but are you sure you want to get involved with me? Right now, this is my world." I looked at Ryland. "I can't just be carefree and go on fun dates and outings like most other seventeen year olds and on top of that, Beau, I can't just forget about what happened with Colby."

"I know it's not going to be perfect," Beau said as he stroked my hair. "But we've tried living without each other, we've tried it twice, and I think we both know that we belong together. Even if that means that we take this thing slow, I just want us to try to be more than friends again. I'll be here for you and little Ryland," He tickled him again and Ry smiled. "Just please, babe, please let me try, one more time. After all, second chances never hurt anybody, do they?"

I shook my head, "No, no, they don't."

Beau smiled as he cupped my chin and leaned in to place a kiss on my lips, when we heard the sound of a thud. We both turned to see that my book had slid onto the floor. Beau reached over and picked it up. I watched as his brown eyes scanned the page.

"Well, I haven't read a more true sentence in my entire life." He commented.

"Which one?" I questioned.

"Premières amours sont toujours." He replied in perfect french as he pointed to it.

"Oh, that one." I said. "I've been trying my best to translate it, but I'm failing french."

"Well, this is one sentence you must never forget!" He exclaimed.

"Really?" I asked.

He nodded, "Yes, you know why?"

I shook my head.

"It says, 'first loves are forever.' and I'd have to agree, wouldn't you?"

"Yes," I smiled. "Yes I would."

I leaned in towards Beau and we sealed our commitment with a kiss. As Beau's warm lips moved in perfect sync with mine the year and half played through my head like a television drama. I'd literally been to hell and back, and I still had no clue what would come in the future, but through it all one thing is ALWAYS true, you never, ever forget your first love.

Why, you may ask, well, because, 'Premières amours sont toujours.' First loves are forever.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And its over...