Chapter Eleven

***Beau***

"We've been wandering around for hours and there's STILL no sign of her! Why don't we just give up?"

"No, Emma, we're NOT giving up! I know she's out here somewhere. Remember those sounds we heard?"

She sighed, "Yes, I remember, but our parents are going to be worried sick if we don't get home soon."

I ignored her as I pushed through yet another branch and stopped dead in my tracks as I stared in disbelief.

"Beau, are you listening to—" She stopped mid-sentence as she stood next to me.

Before us was a large cabin that had several broken windows. The chairs that I assumed had done the damage were sprawled across the lawn. I swallowed hard and licked my lips as my heart pounded in my chest. Kayleigh had been here; I could feel it.

"Stay here," I told Emma.

I began to walk towards the doorway when I heard the sound of a gunshot. I instantly fell to the ground.

"Who goes there?" Called a shaky female voice.

"It's me," I said quickly as I stood up off the ground.

"Beau? Oh, thank God!" She clutched her chest as she dropped the rifle and ran towards me.

"Cassie," I breathed before quickly pulling her into my chest. I could feel her fast heartbeat. "What on earth are you doing out here?"

"I was looking for someone to ask directions," She said as she looked up at me and I realized the tears running down her cheeks. "So, I'd walked up to the door—" Her voice trailed off and I felt myself become concerned.

"You're not hurt, are you?"

She shook her head. "No, I'm fine." She sobbed. "But something terrible happened in there." She shuddered as she spoke.

"What do you mean?" Emma's hollow voice sounded behind us.

I didn't wait for an answer. I ran up the raggedy porch steps and stopped when I reached the doorway. Chairs and tables had been bashed and broken to mere pieces. The trashcan had been turned over and there were broken beer bottles everywhere.

Horrified, I forced myself to step inside the building. Something shiny and pink on the floor near the bed caught my attention. I quickly made my way over to it. I sucked in a sharp breath as I bent down and picked up the shattered pink and silver phone.

"Oh, God," I whispered.

The phone had been completely damaged, but there was no doubt that it was Kayleigh's.My eyes continued to scan the room and I felt faint when they landed on various blood stains outside the closed bathroom door. I walked over to the puddles and realized they were fairly fresh. I was gulping and silently praying as I reluctantly pushed open the door. I'd seen once on a movie where a murderer had killed his wife and left her in a bathtub. The mere thought made me sick, but I knew I had to find out for myself.

Holding my breath, I glanced in the bathroom. Instantly, my heart lightened with relief when I realized that no one was in there, but as I glanced around it became heavy again. With shaky hands I lifted a little white stick off the sink and stared in shock at the pink plus sign.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

***Kayleigh**

When I came-to, my head throbbed and I couldn't remember a thing that had happened. I slowly glanced around my surroundings and realized I was in Colby's car.