Chapter Sixteen

***Kayleigh***

I laid on the lumpy, uncomfortable cot and tried to hold back the sobs that desperately wanted to accompany the hot tears that poured down my cheeks. I didn't want Beau to know that I was crying. He'd gone through enough torture already and I wasn't even sure about my feelings towards him.

Of course, I was happy that he was here and the fact that he'd risked his life to come after me was even more heart warming, but our reunion wasn't quite how I'd pictured it. I'd imagined that the minute I saw him, I'd want to thrust myself into his arms and stay there forever. Instead, the only thoughts running through my head was how much pain he'd caused me—even though he HAD apologized. I was just so confused! I heard the faint sound of clinking metal and I turned to see Beau sliding out from under his cot.

"Ouch," He said as he bumped his head.

I opened my mouth to ask him if he was okay, but instead, I involuntarily sniffed. I quickly tried to wipe away the tears that had forced their way down my face as he walked over to me.

"What's the matter?" Beau asked as he held his head.

I placed my hand on top of his. "Are you okay?" I inquired instead of answering his question.

"Yeah, I'm fine." He said before gently brushing away my tears with his thumb.

Beau pulled me into his arms and I melted into a fit of emotions and tears. "I'm scared." I admitted.

"I'm going to get us out of here, Ky, I promise." Beau kissed the top of my head. "I promise." He repeated.

"How?" I whispered as I cuddled closer to him.

Beau shifted slightly as he dug into his pocket and pulled out a pocket-sized Swiss Army knife.

"Where did you get that?" I asked him.

"I had it in my pocket all along. I had forgotten until I tried to lay down on my side and I felt it in my pocket. It has a screwdriver," He told me. "So, I'm going to use it to take apart the cot. I already looked and it should be an easy task."

I felt my eyebrows scrunch together in confusion. "How will disassembling your only place to sleep, help anything?"

"I'll show you," He said as he knelt down in front of my cot. "See?" he asked as he pointed to the structure. "First off, they're metal, which makes it sturdy. Second, if you unscrew these, they have a ragged edge." He ran his fingers across it. "Therefore, when I strike Colby with it, it'll cause considerable damage. At least it'll provide enough time for us to either get our hands on another weapon, or to make a run for it. When the time comes, I'll tell you exactly what to do."

"Smart," I commented.

Beau beamed proudly, "I know."

"The only thing is—"

"What?" Beau interrupted.

"How are you going to keep Colby from knowing what you're doing?" I asked.

"Well, I'm just gonna have to take a chance on that one."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally, after what felt like a decade, Beau had taken apart his cot and we'd heard the sound of Colby's friends leaving. My heart pounded in my chest as Beau explained the plan to me for probably the hundredth time.

"I can't do this," I said as I tried to slow down my rapid heartbeat.

"Look at me," Beau said.

I slowly lifted my eyes to meet his crystal blue ones.