Chapter Eighteen

***Kayleigh***

"I just don't understand why you're so determined to keep this baby. Why would you want to have a constant reminder of Colby?" Mom questioned in a loud voice.

"It's not about Colby! This baby is a part of me too."

"Only because he took advantage of you! This isn't a situation where you gave your consent and ended up pregnant, Kayleigh." Dad added.

"I know that."

"Look, Kayleigh, your father and I have always wanted you to get a good education." My mom shot back.

"What about what I want?" I asked. "Huh?"

"You're too young to rationalize all of this." Dad stated.

"No, I'm not!" I shook my head. "I just don't want to give my baby up for adoption. I can take care of him or her, I can provide a loving environment, if you just support me!"

"As long as you're under our roof, you're going to do what we see fit and that is not kicking your goals to the curb because of a mistake!" Mom shouted. I felt tears burn the rim of my eyelids as I turned on my heels and stormed up the stairs.

"Kayleigh Raye Williams, come back here right now! We're not done discussing this." My father's voice sounded, but I ignored them as hot tears poured down my cheeks.

I flopped on my bed and sobbed as the sound of my parents now yelling at each other filled the atmosphere. Nothing was going right. I didn't need this. I needed the love and support of my parents, I needed them to allow me to live my life, my way—like they usually did. Now wasn't the time for them to pin their will on me and control my life. That had been the problem all along—Colby had forced me into doing what he wanted, not what I wanted. I heard the sound of my phone ringing and I grabbed it off my night stand. I saw Beau's picture and I answered.

"Hello," I sniffed.

"Are you okay?" Beau asked. The concerned tone of his voice caused me to break down into sobs.

"Where are you?" I questioned.

"At my grandparents'." he answered. "What's the matter?"

"I just, I need to get out of here. Can I come over?"

"Of course," Beau said. "I'll see you in a few minutes?"

"Yeah, bye."

"'Bye."

I hung up the phone and grabbed my emergency duffel bag. Mom always had the whole family to keep a bag packed just in case. I slid my arms into my jacket and stuffed my cell into my purse. I opened my bedroom window, slid out and closed it back quietly. Carefully, I climbed onto the large tree branch that hung like a bridge to my window.

Expertly, I made my way down and onto the ground. I readjusted my bag and began trekking towards Beau's grandparents' house. They lived about three minutes away by foot, and I'd walked to his house many times growing up. I felt my phone buzz and I looked to see that I'd received a text from an unknown number.

Peek-a-boo, I'd b scared if I were u, just mite end up in I-C-U

A cold chill ran down my spine and I could've sworn I heard the sound of footsteps, but I looked everywhere and didn't see anything. I picked up my pace to a jog. Over the last few days, I'd received several similar texts and they were starting to scare me. I found Beau waiting for me on the porch.

"Hey," I smiled slightly.

Beau didn't say anything he just pulled me into a tight hug before leading me into the house. I looked around for his family.