II | Getting Furious with Fury

"Speak when you are angry - and you'll make the best speech you'll ever regret." -Laurence J. Peter

<><><•><><>

Phil took me out of the chair and Nick led us out of the 'truth room' and down a different hallway that I haven't explored yet. It looked exactly like all the other hallways in the Avengers Tower, but at the end it had a secured metal door. We walked slowly down the long way.

"Nick, what did you hear of us?" Asked Phil.

"Nothing but mumbling at different volumes, Phil. That door protects any words said in that room," stated Fury. He sounded pretty pleased with the door doing its job. After all, he did have some sort of a say in designing the place. "What was that arguing in there all about?" He adds. Figures. We were screaming at each other, so why not ask?

"Alex would not cooperate with me. She would not answer my question about her past," Coulson glares at me and I cross my arms and stick my tongue at him like a four-year-old. Fury sees me and gives me a death glare. I just give him a small smile and shrug my shoulders. I don't think he knows my personality too well, considering we've only talked a few times over the phone. I also have been cooped up in this tower and really need to get out and explore this city. I've been so anxious lately and no one seems to understand me and my teenage habits.

But what I don't understand, is why Coulson and I haven't gotten along lately. Maybe it's because we are so used to seeing each other, rather than every once in a blue moon. It's as if we'll tear each other apart if we are around each other too long. Our personalities are very similar. In a way at least.

"Please, Alex," Fury says as he composes himself, "If we're going to cooperate, then we need to know about you."

"Uh, yeah," I say, "Fat chance." Nick frowns in my direction and I quickly state, "But the only way that will work is if you tell me about yourself... or S.H.I.E.L.D. Probably S.H.I.E.L.D.," I debate, "Anyway, it's a two-way deal here. If I tell you everything about me. I demand that you tell me everything about S.H.I.E.L.D."

"That can't happen, Alex. I'm sorry," he says as he paces away from me. I stop and stand in the middle of the hallway with a pout evident on my face. Coulson trails close behind, and I know he's probably internally laughing at me for being ridiculous.

"Well then you won't get anything out of me" I state matter of fact. He just chuckles and shakes his head.

"Yes, of course," he replies like he doesn't believe me.

"I'm serious." I cross my arms and give an unamused look.

He turns around and returns the look. "And you think I'm not?"

"I never said you weren't." I narrow my eyes. I can feel the tension rising.

He gives me a stern look. "We do not give all of our information to one person. That's why there are plenty of people in charge so that we split up all of the information."

"Okay, but that didn't turn out too well when Pierce turned out to be working for HYDRA," I cross my arms, "Now did it?"

He turns around again and starts walking to the door, but I stop him yet again.

"Seriously! Why can't I know things about S.H.I.E.L.D.?" I argue.

He hesitates, thinking about an answer, "No, that's confidential stuff. We can't just hand it out to anyone and/or everyone."

"Well, you kind of did when you put it on the internet for everyone to see." I might be a little too cocky at the moment, but I really want to know things about S.H.I.E.L.D., especially if he wants information from me.

He turns around to face me, which in turn, makes me stop smiling. I just realize that we are almost to the door and I really want to see what's behind it, and what it leads to. I've never really been on the fifth floor and I just really want to run to the door right now. I can see anger seething in his eye, and it's not pretty at all.

He places his hands behind his back and talks in a deadly tone, "That was an emergency operation... and we were able to take all information of S.H.I.E.L.D. off of the internet permanently and successfully."

"Yeah, but people still know about S.H.I.E.L.D. I mean, the government is out for our asses, because we're labeled a terrorist organization. Right, Coulson?" I look to him and I see his eyes widen a little. Apparently I wasn't supposed to say that in front of Fury.

Fury looks over to him, "You told her about that? She is supposed to believe what she believes about us! She's supposed to believe that we are a safe organization that protects the Earth from outside forces."

"And internal ones," Coulson grumbles. They're acting as if I am not even there.

I give both of them a confused and pissed off look, "So you're saying that you wanted me to be lied to about S.H.I.E.L.D.? I can't believe this," I put my hand to my head and sigh loudly, "I'm trying to work in the service of liars and killers."

"That is not true," Coulson tries to object.

"Oh, but it is! It's all just a mere illusion to say that we protect the world, while actually we are doing the opposite," I wave my hands in the air to make it seem more dramatic. "We create these new enemies that are constantly trying to stop us from... from what? I don't know! No one knows probably. What on this Earth would they be wanting to do with us if we are merely just protecting everyone from devastation?"

Silence. They just stare at me. I drop my hands to the side and let out a small huff. Fury suddenly turns towards the door we were going towards and doesn't say anything. That makes me edgy. No one just turns their back on me and walks away without saying anything, a second time. I can sense Phil's wary look at me and he shakes his head, but I start to jog to catch up to Nick.

"Listen," I say as I stop right in front of the tall man, "I think we got off on the wrong foot, here." He's a good listener, I can tell. He stares at me intently, waiting for the rest of my speech. "Alright, let me just cut to the chase, since I'm not that great at Shakespeare," I pause, choosing my words carefully, "I will tell you about my past, overtime; but you have to swear on the Styx that you'll tell me about what I want to know about S.H.I.E.L.D. and everything it involves. I'm not quite sure what that is, but I do want to know things, especially if I'm let into the program." I bite my lip at that last comment.

"What the hell is the Styx?" He stares at me with a furrowed brow.

"The River Styx," I say. "In Greek mythology."

He slowly nods his head, slowly understanding what I'm getting at. "I will come back to this discussion, but I have other, more urgent matters to look forward to at the moment; and that is with Phil," he stares at me and waits for me to leave or something.

"What?" I say, utterly confused. "You're just going to put me on some waiting list and... And come back to me later?" I feel my jaw drop slightly and I cock my head.

"Yes, if I must." I can tell that he is probably rolling his eyes in frustration under his glasses. He starts to push past me towards the door at the end of the fifth floor hallway. My gaze lands on Phil and I just glare at him while tightening my fists and my jaw.

"I can't believe him," I whisper lowly.

"I understand," he whispers back. He walks past me to follow Fury to the door.

"I highly doubt it," I mumble. I turn to follow them and I take a few steps before Nick cuts me off before the door.

"You aren't authorized beyond this point," he states this like I should know.

"Well, my apologies, Sir," I growl at him, "I didn't realize that I wasn't allowed in certain areas of my household."

"Please Alex," Phil says cautiously, "This is an urgent matter and we need to speak in private. Please just go elsewhere." I look between the two of them and I can't see anything. I'm usually pretty good at reading people, but they have poker faces on.

"Fine," I grumble as I drop my gaze and storm off in the opposite direction, never looking back once to see Fury's victorious smirk.