IV | Assassins Aren't Two Bad

"The moments of happiness we enjoy takes us by surprise. It is not that we seize them, but that they seize us." -Ashley Montagu

<><><•><><>

I keep running and making turns down series of hallways. I've passed the living room once on accident and I know that was a mistake because I heard yelling that said they just saw me, and they were right. As I round another turn, I bump into someone. I mumble sorry and my head down, not wanting them to see my face and me not want to see their reaction. I start to walk away but they grab my shoulder and stop me from going any farther.

"Are you okay, Alix?" I recognize it's Bruce's voice. He must've slipped off before I started to argue with a certain someone. I just nod my head while staring down the blurry hallway. I can't see or think straight and the tears that are blinding my vision don't help my situation. I feel his hand slide off of my shoulder and a stand there for a moment, waiting for him to say more and he does, "You know-"

"ALIX!" I hear a feminine voice cut Bruce off down the hallway from where I came from. It sounds just like the girl that took the drinking challenge with... someone I don't want to talk about. Ever. I suddenly realize that she's coming to look for me and I dart away from Bruce while yelping a quick and quiet sorry to him.

I sprint for my life again and the tears have gone away for the moment. They've been substituted with adrenaline. I take another sharp turn down another hallway and quickly realize that I should've taken a different route because this one will lead to a dead end. I stop and think for a quick second. I see a water fountain ahead and know the perfect plan.

I quickly run to the water fountain and use all of the energy I have left in me to make the pipes combust and the water to come out of the now broken spout. I use my powers to control the rushing water and put up a wall at the turn in the hallway where the red-headed girl will come through. I soon feel my power and energy draining. I haven't tried this tactic ever since... since that night. I don't need to bring that up. It will only make me weaker, but I'm so, very out of practice.

I feel my knees begin to shake and I hear a muffled yell from behind the roaring wall of water. I know that I shouldn't be doing this but I slowly move the water down on top of whoever is behind the wall and finally make it collapse, making the water rush everywhere. I take a deep breath and put my hands on my knees while seeing black spots dance around my narrow vision. Ouch. I feel and hear my pulse in my ears and my head starts pounding. Looking down, I feel the cool water brush against my ankles and the spray of the water still coming out of the broken pipes. I'm in so much trouble.

I come out of my daze when I hear a fit of coughing from the nearby hallway, and start to run towards the dead end. I hear splashing behind me and I start to run faster, my breathing is short and hoarse. I get to a room near the end and yank the door open. I close the door, lock it, and run into a closet and lock it as well. I have a slight feeling that she'll find a way to get in.

I hear banging on the first door and yelling for me to open up, then a disgruntled sigh, then finally a loud frustrated cry and a bang from the door being knocked off its hinges. I squeeze my eyes shut in the dark closet and try to breathe steadily but I start to freak out instead.

"Alix, come on. I know you're in here. I saw you-" She pauses, probably knowing where I am. Crap. Why did I hide in the closet of all places?

I hear the door knob squeak and rattle as she tries to open it. "Come on, Alix. Just open up. I'm not going to bust down this door too. I want to talk to you," she sighs. I shake my head and realize that she can't see me, but I still don't say a word. I don't trust my voice to speak my mind. After a moment of silence, I hear the door handle scream in pain as it finally pops and breaks the lock so the door swings wide open. The low light from the partially draped windows in the main part of the room creeps into the closet and finally finds my face. The girl moves slowly and cautiously towards me and sits down a few feet away, still giving me enough space.