I | Denying the Past

"The present changes the past. Looking back, you do not find what you left behind." -Kiran Desai

<><><•><><>

"Please state your full name," said Director Coulson while he looked through the questions in the book sitting on the giant counter in between us.

"Alexandra Grace Jackson," I state.

He looks up from his book, "Including your adoptive last name."

I sigh, "Alexandra Grace Jackson Stark."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome," I say with an annoyed tone. He looks at me with a frown.

"Okay, Alex, I am going to ask you a series of questions that you have to answer truthfully, and then we can move on to what I would like to ask you."

"Okay, but if you had to ask me something, then why did you hook me up to this giant ass lie detector?" I'm so fed up with all of the personal questions because of the "we can't trust anyone" sort of thing.

"Because, 'this giant ass lie detector' will tell me if you are telling the truth or not."

"Oh, really? Prove it." I'd love to cross my arms right now to put my full cockiness into effect, but I'm strapped down pretty tight, so I just tilt my head.

"All right then. How much did you pay for that necklace," he asks me while giving a smirk.

Oh crap. I stole this necklace, and I think he knows that. Stay calm, Alex. Remember what the tag said on it. "I paid around fifteen bucks for this necklace. I found it at a Wal-Mart." That's what the tag said, and I did find it at Wal-Mart. I didn't completely lie.

All of a sudden warning lights and sounds came from the large table Coulson was standing at. It must have meant I lied. This is going to be tricky.

"Okay, okay. You got me. How did you know I lied?" I ask curiously.

"The lie detector knows. Not me. I thought you were telling the truth."

"What? But-" I am so utterly confused.

"I don't know how Alex," he cuts me off, "but this thing detected pupil dilation and a bit of annoyance on your skin when you said 'paid.' Plus, your heart rate spiked up a little." He looks at me raising an eyebrow.

"Oh?" I raise an eyebrow as well. My Gods, what is this technology?

"Can I please continue with the interrogation," he asks calmly.

"Since when is this an interrogation? Oh, wait. Since you've been trying to get answers from me? Now I see what this is." I stare at him intently, waiting for him to bite back, but he doesn't.

"Let's just call it 'orientation.' What is your eye color?"

"Blue-green with specks of silver," I huff and roll my eyes.

"Hair color?"

"Dark brown."

"Have you ever been married?"

"No? I'm sixteen-"

"Please list your immediate family," he ignores me and continues looking at his book.

"Which one?"

"Both," he says plainly.

"Names?" I wonder.

"No."

"Okay then. I have a biological mom and dad, and a brother. I also have and adoptive mom and dad."